Installation on Dell PowerEdge 2900 not starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwfreenas

Cadet
Hello

I'm owning a Dell PowerEdge 2900 ( 2x Xeon Dual Core 3Ghz, 8GB Ram)

and want t install FreeNas on it.

I burned the Iso (tryed x64 and x86) and booted from the CD.

I got the boot menu showed (tryed to run safe mode, acpi disabled , verbosed enabled).

After this step the System got stuck, only showing "Booting..." with blue background and in the top left edge a blinking "Z" on green background.

Any tips to get the system up to install it ?

Dell PowerEdge 2900, 1 HDD via onboard SATA #1 connected, DVD Drive via onboard SATA #2,no Raid Controller installed.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you check out Dell's page on that server it says this...

Microsoft® Windows® Small Business Server 2008
Microsoft® Windows® Essential Business Server 2008
Microsoft Windows® Server 2008 SP2, x86/x64 (x64 includes Hyper-V™ )
Microsoft Windows® Server 2008 R2, x64 (includes Hyper-V™ v2)
Microsoft® Windows® HPC Server 2008
Novell® SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux

Notice FreeBSD is not on that list. Almost always that means FreeBSD won't run.

ZFS Noob

Contributor
The problem is likely that you need to go into the BIOS and make sure that the USB port is being treated as a hard drive, both during install and boot (note that changing it while a USB CDROM is attached works for install, but when you remove the USB CDROM the USB stick suddenly acquires different settings.) I went through some headaches with both an R710 and a 2970 when installing FreeNAS, and diddling with the BIOS settings eventually resolved it. Sorry, I don't remember exactly what I had to do.

With that said, the R710 is running great, with a SAS/6i controller in place of the original PERC card. When I tried to replace the PERC on the 2970 the BIOS panicked, and the best I could do was export each individual drive as a RAID0 volume.

Good luck. Dell gear is nice in some ways, and maddening in others.

Status
Not open for further replies.