Confused about firmware/bios versions

StorageCurious

Explorer
I have three SAS3008 based cards in a server :

0) One Dell HBA330 mini to handle the server's hot-plug drives.
1) a 9300-8e
2) a 9300-4i4e
...the last two used in a redundant fashion to connection to an external SAS enclosure.

Here is the output of sasflash -listall (many reboots after having upgraded all cards, so it's not a question of needing to reboot)

1667341305467.png

Questions
1) Should the HBA330 be running 16.00.12 like the others? I couldn't find a Dell 16.00.12 firmware, but a 16.00.11 was easily found. Does it matter?
2) Should I worry about the absence of a BIOS version for the 9300-8e? Why is the BIOS version different then the other 9300, if I used the same download from here? (not quite the same file, as they are split into their specific variants, but they both updated firmware to 16.00.12 which they weren't at before)
3) ...specifically, I am worried about the BIOS version (or absence of) on the second card. A reason to worry? Why or why not?

...4) This is on a poweredge server (R730XD to be exact). Would I be better served with PCIe HBA330 cards instead of 9300s cards?

Any help is appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1) Should the HBA330 be running 16.00.12 like the others? I couldn't find a Dell 16.00.12 firmware, but a 16.00.11 was easily found. Does it matter?
Probably. How much does it matter? It's hard to say, but there were some known issues that affected people in earlier 16.x releases.
Someone over at the STH forums claims that the only difference between Dell and LSI firmware is a vendor string that says "Dell HBA330" or something to that effect. Do note that I do not know of anyone who has successfully flashed the HBA330 Mini with "standard" firmware, nor do I know what effect that would have on iDrac or firmware whitelists.

2) Should I worry about the absence of a BIOS version for the 9300-8e?
Not at all. More trouble than it's worth in 99% of scenarios.
Why is the BIOS version different then the other 9300, if I used the same download from here? (not quite the same file, as they are split into their specific variants, but they both updated firmware to 16.00.12 which they weren't at before)
Must've not flashed the extension ROM, I guess. Also, keep in mind that Dell may have customized their image (although I have not seen much difference beyond the menu titles) and given it a different version number.
3) ...specifically, I am worried about the BIOS version (or absence of) on the second card. A reason to worry? Why or why not?
It only provides a minimal SAS topology viewer, staggered spinup, and a UEFI driver to boot from the HBA (UEFI extension ROM) or an int13h handler to provide disk services to software that relies on the BIOS (i.e. when you're booting in BIOS mode).
Plenty of people run without it. It's actually a good idea to only install it on a single card, even if you have multiples. Crazy behavior has been known to happen when people start mixing and matching.
...4) This is on a poweredge server (R730XD to be exact). Would I be better served with PCIe HBA330 cards instead of 9300s cards?
Not at all, unless you're kidnapped by terrorists and forced to earn your freedom by ordering overpriced Dell-branded cards.

StorageCurious

Explorer
Probably. How much does it matter? It's hard to say, but there were some known issues that affected people in earlier 16.x releases.
Then my quest for a Dell 16.00.12 version continues...
Not at all, unless you're kidnapped by terrorists and forced to earn your freedom by ordering overpriced Dell-branded cards.
I know right...but one thing I think it would give me is the possibility to identify ("blink") a specific drive in the external enclosure from the iDrac. Right now I can't with the 9300s but the Dell iDrac UI seems to tease at this possibility.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don’t have an answer for you on that detail. I wouldn’t put it past them, but it’s unlikely there’s any real secret sauce to justify such a limitation.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
but one thing I think it would give me is the possibility to identify ("blink") a specific drive in the external enclosure from the iDrac. Right now I can't with the 9300s but the Dell iDrac UI seems to tease at this possibility.
If sesutil can see the drives and enclosure from within TrueNAS, you should be able to use the locate daX option to blink the tray there.

Doing the same from the iDRAC interface may require the Dell firmware hooks though. (Latest version I found is 16.17.01.00)

Last edited:

StorageCurious

Explorer
If sesutil can see the drives and enclosure from within TrueNAS, you should be able to use the locate daX option to blink the tray there.

Doing the same from the iDRAC interface may require the Dell firmware hooks though. (Latest version I found is 16.17.01.00)

I tried and it works well, thank you. Why aren't those wonderful options part of the TrueNAS UI?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I tried and it works well, thank you. Why aren't those wonderful options part of the TrueNAS UI?
Because support is uneven among less-than-server-grade stuff and even then it's less than standard. It's also effectively impossible to go whole-hog with a generic interface that makes sense for all and a crapton of effort to make something that users can configure on their own.

iX includes this functionality in TrueNAS Enterprise, since it's sold exclusively with their own, known hardware.

StorageCurious

Explorer
Because support is uneven among less-than-server-grade stuff and even then it's less than standard. It's also effectively impossible to go whole-hog with a generic interface that makes sense for all and a crapton of effort to make something that users can configure on their own.

iX includes this functionality in TrueNAS Enterprise, since it's sold exclusively with their own, known hardware.

Makes sense, thanks