SOLVED confused about email alerts

Davvo

MVP
So, I set up my first NAS and It works. I run CORE to the latest release (U1.1).
I am a bit perplexed by the email alert system, mainly I don't understand if I set It up properly.
  • I put my email (example@gmail.com) into root user.
  • I configured the NAS mail in the system > email Tab (nasexample@gmail.com). Test mail received.
  • Then I noticed the Alert service Tab and set up the mail one with the same email as the root user (example@gmail.com). Test mail received.
I feel I did reduntant steps... Why configure the root mail if I have to set It up anyway in the email alert service? Am I missing something? Should I edit something?

Also, I could not find any setting for getting an alert when disk temperatures reach certain values, believed to be possible. Again, did I miss something?

Thank you for the patience.

Redcoat

MVP
Also, I could not find any setting for getting an alert when disk temperatures reach certain values, believed to be possible. Again, did I miss something?
That’s in Services>Smart>General Options

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
It has been a while and I did not receive any mail. I do have not touched the Alert settings.
I suppose all Is going well... Am I wrong?

It has been a while and I did not receive any mail.
Isn't that expected? Nothing's wrong, no need to send an email alert.

However, you might have a headache with a Gmail account configured to "send" the emails. Google might block this "insecure app" from authenticating with your account. It's been a headache for myself and someone else, and thus we use a throwaway email account to configure as the sender, while the root user (and SMART emails) and Email alerts destination are set to a Gmail inbox address.

Recent change, and kind of sucks, to be honest: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

So when we tried the GMail OAth method (in TrueNAS), it doesn't seem to "stick". We had to continuously redo this step every so often in order for it to work. It did not act like a "set it once and you're done" situation. That's why we just said "forget it" and used a freebie throwaway email account instead, sticking with the traditional SMTP method in TrueNAS's Email configuration.

Last edited:

Davvo

MVP
Well, i read in some (old) FreeNAS post about a nightly report or something, so I wasn't sure.
Thank you, Google really keeps trying to push away its customers.

Last edited: