Configuring XP to use remote FreeNAS server for backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbach2003

Dabbler
I've been trolling forums all day, and can't find a solution. I've started setting up some ZFS directories...here's some background info:

I've got FreeNAS running with 80 GB, separated into 3 ZFS directories. I can access the server via WebUI. I am at work, server is on my home network (using port forwarding and running on https://)

I absolutely cannot get files to transfer. I've tried setting the server up as a network drive on my windows xp workstation, I've tried DeltaCopy, I've turned services on (on the server), turned them off, I've opened all permissions to the ZFS share I'm trying to write too, the whole 9 yards, and I'm clueless.

What I Want:

I want to be able to set up remote workstations to backup files that I choose to my FreeNAS server. I will mainly be working with Windows machines. But I'm totally lost here. I'm good from a desktop side, but this is my first time tinkering with server-side stuff. If there is a better article or forum for me to check out, that info would be great as well. I don't necessarily need a teacher lol, I just at least need to know how to get it started, and I could figure it out from there. Thanks!

jbach2003

jbach2003

Dabbler
Hey Proto-

I was afraid you were gonna say that. I'll start running through this new tutorial and plug in some feedback as I go along. Thanks for the link!

jbach2003

Dabbler
So after a couple of weeks of testing things, I've gotten a whole lot closer. I've been using cygwin/deltacopy to setup rsync to my FreeNAS server. However, the biggest issues I'm having now is getting each to run together. I can use cygwin's BASH console to setup SSH keys, and therefore use password-less authentication. I can get rsync with Deltacopy to work, as long as its NOT connecting via SSH. I've received a litany of errors. This is just getting frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.