Configuring Truecharts Nextcloud with Custom Data Directory

Shangreer

Cadet
Hi All.

First post and a new user to TrueNAS. I've been in the industry for a long time, but primarily a Windows user. Please be gentle. :)

I have installed TrueNAS Scale on a Supermicro Server. Specs as follows (aware it is overkill for a NAS - more of a want than a need):

Server Chassis/ Case: SYS-8048B-TRFT
Motherboard: X10QBI Ver 1.01
CPU: 4x Intel Xeon E7-4850 V2 12 Core 2.3Ghz ( 48 Total Cores)
RAM: 256GB DDR3 ECC REG Total
RAID Controller QTY 1x AOC-S3008L-L8E HBA Controller in IT Mode
Power Supplies: 4x 1620W Power supply PWS-1K62P-1R Platinum
SAS3 Expander backplane
Memory Board: X10QBI-MEM1 Rev 1.01 SYS-8048B-TRFT

TrueNAS Scale Version 22.02.0

Pool Map:
\Vault
>ix-applications
>NextCloud

The server is running very well. No issues there.

I installed the Truecharts NextCloud application.

During install, I configured a storage environment variable:
NEXTCLOUD_DATA_DIR and set it to /NextCloud, which is a Dataset in my main Pool.

When I go to login to NextCloud, upon entering my username and password, I get the following error: nextcloud Cannot create or write into the data directory

I am sure this has to do with permissions. I've read a bunch and watched a lot of videos, but Linux Permissions are still a complete mystery to me. What I have done is set the owner in TrueNAS to the NextCloud dataset to www-data (user and group) and given them full control. I also went into the NextCloud app shell and it looks like the owner of files there are root/root with an ID of 568. Root (on TrueNAS) has full control to the NextCloud dataset on TrueNAS (with a diff UID).

Does anyone know of somewhere that has step by step instructions available to do this? Truecharts instruction video is simply a read of the application settings, which is great if you already know what you are doing. :)

Thanks in advance. Please let me know if there is any more data needed to help with this.

Shan

truecharts

Guru
If you installed our App, it's best to file a ticket with our support staff on discord directly if you run into any issues.

Shangreer

Cadet
Did not want to report a support issue as I am pretty confident there is nothing wrong with your app. I am sure I have a short between the chair and the keyboard here. I'm hoping someone in the community has run into the same type of permission issues and can help out. If no one has any ideas, I'll bug your support folks. Thanks!!

Shangreer

Cadet
Yup, definitely a short between the chair and the keyboard. The gents at Truecharts very respectfully suggested I rewatch the video. Clearly the one I thought I had followed completely, I did not. Thanks to Truecharts support and sorry for the SPAM folks! Carry on. :)

truecharts

Guru
Glad to know you worked it out :)
Often just knowing you missed something that is actually in the video is the little nudge to figure things out :)

kampi

Cadet
Hi!
I have the same problem. Which video are you talking about? Or could you just tell me what was the problem?

Thanks!

truecharts

Guru
Hi!
I have the same problem. Which video are you talking about? Or could you just tell me what was the problem?

Thanks!

We refered to our own documentation and video's.