Configuration files in 2 USB pendisks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui Correia

Cadet
Hi,
I've just found freenas.
From what I've learnt so far, it is always advisable to have FN installed on a USB pendisk instead of on a HDD.
I am a bit worried about having my NAS working off of a USB pendisk, though.
So, is there a way to have FN installed on 2 USB pendisks and have the configuration files (sync'ed) on both USB pendisks?
Just in case, you know?
Cheers

raulfg3

Dabbler
install freeNAs in the first USB Pendisk, configure it, and save the config file on your desktop, then shutdown FreenNAS, replace the first USB pendisk using the second one, boot from CD , do a new fresh install, restore your previosly saved config.

now you have 2 USB pendisk identical.

In fact the most important thing that you can do is save periodically your FreeNAS config in your desktop to restore it in case of boot fail.

Rui Correia

Cadet
raulfg3,
Thanks for your reply.
Actually, this is not what I had in mind.
What I had in mind is something "automatic".
I would always be sure that I could take the 2nd pendisk and boot from it without having to go to my desktop to check on the config file and copying it to the 2nd pendisk.
I'd like something like an rsync running between both usb pendisks. ;)
Can this be done in a easy way?
Cheers

gpsguy

My understanding is that the configuration file is stored in: /data/freenas-v1.db

My plan, was to create a cron job that would copy that file (nightly) with a unique name to one of my data directories, where it would get backed up/copied off the system.

I presume, you could have a use a cron job to drive a script that copied it directly to another USB pendisk in the system.

I'm just a FreeNAS noob. I assembled my system on the weekend, and am working on getting backup, etc. in place, before I start using it in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.