Upgrade / New Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisman

Cadet
I have a couple questions before I upgrade my FreeNAS box, and I'd like some input on the best method.

Right now, I'm running FreeNAS 0.7.2 Sabanda. I've been running it for some time, and everything has been running fine.

FreeNAS is installed on a USB stick that has nothing else on it. I have a RAID-Z pool with four (4) 1-TB drives, for a total of approximately 3.62 TB. I am currently at about 70% capacity, with about 765 GB free.

Given the type of setup I have described above, would it be advisable to (a) upgrade the current system in place or (b) do a fresh install on a new USB disk, plug that drive in, and restore my current configuration to the new install?

I'm inclined to do a fresh install/configure of the system on two (2) separate disks so I'll have a backup (current backup USB stick doesn't have all of the current packages installed). If I do this, what order should I follow post install to get everything back up and running correctly? I'm thinking that I should probably restore from the current configuration file first, then install new/updated packages. Should I leave the hard drive unplugged while I'm still configuring, or would that throw off the system since my pool wouldn't be there? Also, will I need to move the logs and fuppes again, or will that be captured with restoring from the current config file?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no upgrading.. at all.

You will have to redo all of your settings in the new version no matter what you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.