Compatibility- Existing x10DaI Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, guys.

I've been reading random posts in this forum for a while- been jumping back in and out of planning my NAS build for well over two years now. I'm a motion graphics designer with my own SuperMicro workstation I built back in 2015, and want to migrate my files over to a completely new NAS setup. This will be my first NAS, and my goal is to purchase hardware that fits well into the SuperMicro ecosystem that I already have in place. The idea is that I should be able to swap RAM sticks, processors, etc out of my current setup into the NAS setup and vice versa if any problems arise with either my workstation or my NAS.

Currently my NAS build will be light-medium use, probably only have the budget for 6 to 8 3TB WD RED drives at the most right now. I haven't gotten into transcoding or Plex, but I plan to stream media off the NAS at a later point. I'm mostly worried about making a secondary backup for all of my working files (mostly video).

Here's the bulletized verison of my current workstation setup:
- Dual CPUs: 2x Intel - Xeon E5-2650 V3 2.3GHz 10-Core Processor
- Motherboard: SuperMicro MBD-X10DAI-O Extended ATX Xeon Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 Intel C612
- RAM: HYNIX 32GB 4x8GB PC4-2133P DDR4 2133MHz REG-ECC 288-Pin DIMM HMA41GR7MFR4N-TF

The only part of my NAS build I currently have sourced is the Fractal Node 804 MicroATX case.

So for my NAS components to work interchangeably with the x10DaI workstation I already have, the following parameters need to be met:
- LGA 2011
- DDR4 RAM (REG-ECC), must work with x10DaI (can be 2133 / 2400 / 2666) Ideally, getting 2133 DDR4 RAM would be the best situation so I can swap sticks between the NAS and my WS while waiting for replacements to come in if one stick gives out)
- MicroATX
- either X10 or x11 UP or DP configuration
- Any other constraints / parameters / potential kinks?

I'm happy to source my parts used via Ebay- they have a 20% off promotion running today so I might actually jump on specific components today. I looked at this excellent post by @Chris Moore here, with used component ideas, and I think I could probably cobble something together if you guys could point me in the right direction or provide suggestions on potential deals. Budget is less than $500 / $600 for the components and then the rest will go towards the hard drives.

Is my thinking sound, or should I forget about compatibility and just go for a distinctly separate NAS setup / config? If you're reading this post and can only answer one question... what board would fit my needs the best?

Thanks for looking at this!

Adding some info about the config I'm thinking of getting, so I can get some feedback:

Supermicro X11SSL-CF-O LGA1151/ Intel C232/ DDR4/ SATA3&SAS3&USB3.0/ V&2GbE/
- $268. RAM will be compatible with my X10DaI setup, but the CPUs will not be interchangeable due to the C232 / C612 conflict. Not ideal, would prefer the chipset configuration to be interchangeable. Any good C612 X10 or X11 boards out there that use DDR4?

Intel Xeon E3-1220 v6 Quad-core (4 Core) 3 GHz Processor - Socket LGA-1151
- Seems reasonable for $149.

Hynix HMA41GR7AFR4N-UH 8GB DDR4-2400 ECC REG DIMM
- $180 for 16 gb. Off SuperMicro's compatible RAM list, seems to match both X10DaI and the X11SSL-CF boards.

1M Mini SAS 4i SFF-8087 36-Pin Male to 4 SATA 7-Pin Splitter Adapter Cable NEW
- $7.96 a pop.

Without the SAS - SATA adapter cables, the cost is about $587. Can I do better picking up one of those used rack mount systems that @Chris Moore suggested? More RAM than I need and the RAM isn't compatible with my X10DaI setup, but pricing might be better. Example here.

Hope I'm not whistling in the dark! :) Thanks for all of your help, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.