LGA 2011 or wait for LGA 2011-3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
Hey Guys,

In short, go with LGA 2011 or wait for LGA 2011-3?

Currently, I have x12 WD 4TB SE disks in two Raid-Z2 pools in a volume. I am currently running this on my first FreeNAS build with 16GB of ECC Ram and a little AMD 4-core processor. It's slow as a dog and time to upgrade.

I am on the fence with holding out a few more months for the Xeon 2011-3 motherboards/CPU's to be released along with ECC DDR4 or just going with an LGA 2011 Supermicro motherboard, x4 16GB Registered ECC DIMM's, and a E5-1620V2 right now.

Thanks for the thread Cyberjock. I was having trouble settling on a motherboard and didn't know about IPMI. Your thread definitely helped me out. I guess I should be calling you PersonablePrincessPeach instead now though. HAHA!

This NAS will be used for photo editing where large folders (200 - 300GB worth of raw files) are going to and from the NAS for editing on a couple client machines.

What would you guys do?

ALFA

Explorer
Im asking myself the same. DDR4 ECC RAM has been available for while, and I think we will be see soon the rest of the team (Mobo/CPU)

Brosif_My_Nif

Explorer
Im asking myself the same. DDR4 ECC RAM has been available for while, and I think we will be see soon the rest of the team (Mobo/CPU)

I sure hope so! I'm getting anxious to see the new motherboards and CPUs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The new stuff should be available relatively soon (end of the month maybe?). It will take a while for the dust to settle though, particularly if new components are in the mix (besides CPU/PCH/RAM, of course).

I wouldn't feel very comfortable buying (unless it was for experimenting) before a few people have validated that everything's working.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
DDR4 is outrageously expensive (and probably will be for the next year). As much as IT geeks (myself included) want the 'latest and greatest' it's something you will pay dearly for if you actually want it.

Personally, I'd go with the E5-1620v2 if you need it this year and be happy. DDR3 is dirt cheap compared to DDR4 of the same size. 8GB DDR3 ECC DIMMs are about $90 and 8GB DDR4 ECC DIMMs are about $140. If you can stand to wait to upgrade until after the new year you will probably see prices drop to reasonable values.

Status
Not open for further replies.