Compact freenas build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajeje_brazo

Cadet
-chassis: iw-ms08 (400$ including a 500W PSU)
-MB: X11SSH-TF-O (330$ uATX, 10Gbe X550, 8 SATA 3, Xeon E3-1200 v6/v5 or 7th/6th Gen i3, 64GB Unbuffered ECC)
-CPU: Xeon E3-1220 V6 (200$, 3GHz Quad-Core)
-HDD: WD red 3T (x8) [from previous build]
-RAM: 32 GB (300$, M378A2K43BB1-CPB Samsung 16GB 2133MHZ Ecc Unbuffered Cl15 1.2v DDR4)

Uses:
- plex server (4k streaming)
- remote mounted drive for high-performance computer (thus the 10Gbe)
- backup hub

Notes:
- the chassis is way overpriced, but i actually like the look and i'm happy(ish) to throw 200$ extra bucks for that

Let me know if this will Freenas, or if you have any suggestions!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
-chassis: iw-ms08 (400$ including a 500W PSU)
I can't find enough information about it. Do you have a link?
Let me know if this will Freenas, or if you have any suggestions!
It looks like it will work, but you could probably save some money on used parts and still have perfectly fin performance.
- remote mounted drive for high-performance computer (thus the 10Gbe)
You are not going to approach 10Gb speed with only 8 drives. That is just a mechanical limitation of the drives.
What is the old system? Why are you changing, but keeping the same drives?

ajeje_brazo

Cadet
Hi Chris, and thank you for your suggestions!

- the link for the chassis is this. IMHO is horribly overpriced, but I couldn't find other option with similar design and form factors (less than 30 liters).

- thanks for the used part suggestions, I'll check these as well. Do you have any specific website/ebay seller you'd recommend?

- I have to confess that I didn't put too much thought in the 10GBe :smile:
Researching the topic I found that the typical read speed from a multi disk RAIDZ2 it's between 400/500 MB/s, and while this probably won't saturate a 10GBe connection (up to 1024 MB/s) would make a standard GBe the bottleneck (up to ~100 MB/s). Do you think it make sense or is there anything I'm missing?
I'm not much of a hardware person :smile:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Depends on what you want. If you want to keep the size of the case small like this, your speed will be limited, but you can still do a lot better than 1gig networking.
Many people have size restrictions, so I can understand if that's the thing that matters most.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.