Community Plugin 'Emby' servers: no acces to Admin Portal

NumberSix

Contributor
Hi Everyone
Sadly I see that in these forums overall, no one cares much about Emby server. I guess this community aren't film lovers, but I digress!

So I have tried both the Emby servers listed in the 'Plugins' section of TrueNAS. Both Comminity offerings. There is a "Version N/A" and a "Version 4.7.14.0_5" at this time. Both appear to install just fine. However, the Admin Portals they offer do not connect. You click 'Manage' in the plugin section for Emby and the browser fails to connect - same with both plugins.
screenshot.12.jpg

screenshot.11.jpg

So it's maddening. Without connecting to the Admin Portal you can't populate Emby with any films, create a user account or do anything. It's just a brick.

I did have a working version of Emby that I manually installed. It took about 3 weeks to install as I find TrueNAS to be the most complex software I've ever touched. Emby finally worked for several years, but went broke yesterday. In the end I had to uninstall and re-install; except of course the re-install of a community version isn't working, as you see.
What am I doing wrong please?

Thank you!

danb35

Hall of Famer
no one cares much about Emby server. I guess this community aren't film lovers
I think it's rather that far more people use Plex than Emby, and the ones who are really concerned about F/OSS are using Jellyfin. Emby seems to me (as one who doesn't use it) as being kind of caught in the middle.

But be that as it may, plugins are a dead feature walking. Current users of plugins are advised to come up with a way to move away from them, and those who aren't currently using them shouldn't start. More information here:
and here:

victort

Guru

Or follow the instructions here with a manually created jail. Looks simple enough.

If you do, make sure to turn on the mlock setting in the jail properties. You will need to stop the jail, and edit.

Last edited:

NumberSix

Contributor

Or follow the instructions here with a manually created jail. Looks simple enough.

If you do, make sure to turn on the mlock setting in the jail properties. You will need to stop the jail, and edit.
Hi Vicort
Just checking - where exactly will I find the 'mlock' settings and - if it's not complex to explain for a CLI Philistine like myself, what does it do?
Thank you!

NumberSix

Contributor
But be that as it may, plugins are a dead feature walking. Current users of plugins are advised to come up with a way to move away from them, and those who aren't currently using them shouldn't start. More information here:
Wow Danb35 - I read the thread you pointed me at - epic - and bravo you for refusing to see the Emperor's New Clothes and calling it as you see it. Depressing stuff, but I'm impressed you stood up and went for it. We need more people like you.

victort

Guru
Hi Vicort
Just checking - where exactly will I find the 'mlock' settings and - if it's not complex to explain for a CLI Philistine like myself, what does it do?
Thank you!

You can also just run

iocage set “allow_mlock=1” jailname

Also in the Jail's properties in the GUI.
mlock.png