Update FFMpeg Emby Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrod696

Explorer
I have been using the Emby plugin for quite a while and now have a fire stick, playing on the Firestick you receive and error when playing HEVC files. I went through the testing and debugging on the Emby forums (see link below) and it was determined the FFMpeg is way out of date and most likely the cause. I waited to upgrade to 3.2.70.0 to see if that resolved the issue but it did not.

I have also tested on 3 separate sticks and they all have the issue.

How can I upgrade/update the FFMpeg in the Emby plugin jail without totally screwing up the whole jail.

I know it will be brought up so I will answer the question now, I do not want to do a manual install because the plugin does have features in it that are not included in the manual install and they work well for what I need.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55354-fire-stick-hevc-error/

One last thing to add, I am very new to FreeNAS and scripting in general so I need the kindergarten instructions if possible :tongue:

Nick2253

Wizard
I do not want to do a manual install because the plugin does have features in it that are not included in the manual install and they work well for what I need.
What features are you looking for? It might be easier to get those features working in a manual jail than updating FFMpeg in the plugin.

However, I'm not an expert in the Emby plugin, so updating FFMpeg might be super easy. I'm just exploring other options.

Jrod696

Explorer
What features are you looking for? It might be easier to get those features working in a manual jail than updating FFMpeg in the plugin.

However, I'm not an expert in the Emby plugin, so updating FFMpeg might be super easy. I'm just exploring other options.

It's my understanding that the plugin has a more pre-configured Scheduled Tasks and Settings setup by default vs the manual install, I guess if push comes to shove that could be the path I could go down but I like the plugin and its ease of use and as you said I was hoping it would be super easy to update the FFMpeg.

adrianwi

Guru
I think @Joshua Parker Ruehlig updates the emby plugin so he might be able to build the next one with a newer version of FFMpeg?

Jrod696

Explorer
Well I was hoping 3.3 would have an update to FFMpeg but it doesnt look like it got one, I figure give another go at asking if anyone knows how to update the FFMpeg in the plugin?

I also attempted to do a manual install inside a jail and never got that to work either.

Last edited:

Jrod696

Explorer
A big thanks for @Joshua Parker Ruehlig for helping me out with this, it looks like after the update is run for FFMpeg inside the FreeNAS jail it fixes the problem

The fix:

pkg -o OSVERSION=1101505 update -f
pkg -o OSVERSION=1101505 upgrade
pkg install ffmpeg
sed -i '' -e 's|/usr/pbi/emby-amd64/bin/ffmpeg|/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg|' /usr/local/etc/rc.d/emby-server
service emby-server restart

Thanks again Josh!

adrianwi

Guru
Thought I'd give this a try, but not sure on the format of the 4th line. Can you check it and update?

Thanks

Jrod696

Explorer
Thought I'd give this a try, but not sure on the format of the 4th line. Can you check it and update?

Thanks

Are you saying you tried it and it didnt work? Or your just not sure about it, that is the command that worked in my jail on my Emby plugin for FreeNAS that Josh gave me.

adrianwi

Guru
It gave me some error messages, making me think something was out with the syntax or spacing, but does seem to have worked. It has broken the automatic scanning for new media though :(

@Joshua Parker Ruehlig - could the latest FFMpeg be built into the next Plugin update? It's the only plugin I use as I like the fact that it automagically adds new media, but it does seem much more responsive with the latest FFMpeg. I'd tried to add the auto scanning thing into a manual jail, without any success.

Jrod696

Explorer
It gave me some error messages, making me think something was out with the syntax or spacing, but does seem to have worked. It has broken the automatic scanning for new media though :(

It shouldn't have broken anything because no config files were changed, but I will say I thought mine was broken too but the errors are for system updates and a quick google I found that is a known issue with GitHub and since we cant auto update its really a non issue anyway.

Now I say all of that with absolutely 0 knowledge of FreeBSD and am a complete newb with uber cut and paste skills so I could be wrong, however in our conversation Josh did say he would update the plugin.

Status
Not open for further replies.