command for deleting backup files after 3 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyhrzn

Cadet
So I created a cronjob for backing up my SMB to a external usb drive (command: rsync -zvr /mnt/files /mnt/Backup/ --delete-after) but I want it to delete the files which were deleted on the SMB only after 3 weeks on the backup drive, not immediately (as in the current command), but I don't know the command for it.

and another question: is there a way to implement a encryption for the backup drive which doesn't stop the backup cronjob from working?

thank you in advance! :)

As a cron job (aka Unix command), it would like this: find /path/to/files/to/be/deleted -type f -mtime +21 -exec rm -f {} \;

yyhrzn

Cadet
Thank you, but I don't want a specific path to be deleted after 3 weeks. My plan is to backup my FreeNAS SMB to a external drive. When I delete a file on the SMB, i want it to be deleted on the external backup drive too, not immediately, but in 3 weeks.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you used a snapshot lifetime of 3 weeks and a replication task to move the data to the backup server, you would get the result you want (in a way...).

Actually what that would do is show the file as deleted immediately in both the production and backup systems, but in fact the snapshot (which would be on both sides) would have the file until it expires in 3 weeks.

yyhrzn

Cadet
thanks, that'll work for me, but what do i choose as the remote hostname (external backup drive)/port?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Please do not use external image hosts. Instead, copy/paste your images directly into your message.

sretalla