Backup strategy for one way Sync (WIN7 -> NAS)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupcake

Dabbler
Hi guys

I've been using Freenas for 6 months now and it all works perfectly. The only thing missing is a good backup strategy. My NAS is running with a ZFS-Z2 with 6x4 TB. My question is not freenas specific, but ZFS specific I think. I'm an amateur photographer and would like to archive my raw images the best way possible, so here's my wishlist:
  • Copy files from local drive to network drive on regular basis (could be done easily with a script).
  • A way to remove files form network location which have been deleted locally (repeat deletions) on my command. Here's where a simple copy-script would fail.
  • The files should be stored in their original format, not packed together in a special container format which can only be opened with the original backup program.
  • I don't want any Checksum checks for already existing files! If there suddenly is a corrupted file on the local disk, I don't want the corruption to spread to the network drive. The standard backup software assumes that the local copy is the good one and tries to "fix" the file on the network drive. Many programs have that function which "checks the integrity of the backup files". I'm even afraid that some programs are doing this without mentioning it. Obviously this would work against ZFS and it's "self-healing" ability.
  • File Versioning is not required. I really just want an automatic way to store my photographs in a safe place and for a long period of time.

Any suggestions? So far I've used Cobian, Areca, Oops Backup and EaseUS.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Damn, this is an easy one since you are running Windoze 7. Go grab the Microsoft SyncToy 2.1 and it allows you to do that. Next you need to automate the process by scheduling it to automatically run and you can search Google for that and it will tell you how to set it up specifically for SyncToy. I use it for photos and music.

Cupcake

Dabbler
Hmm I completely forgot about Sync Toy. The answer is probably too simple :D
I'll give it a try right away, thanks.

Yatti420

Wizard
Driveimage xml

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

joeschmuck

Old Man

joeschmuck

Old Man
I was thinking the same thing. To test it out I went ahead and setup a mirror of "My Documents" and scheduled it to run every 10 minutes. It works perfectly and quickly, test complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.