Clean install of FreeNAS 11.3 on server will not autoboot

brian.ward

Cadet
I have tried disabling C states, using Legacy and UEFI bios options.
This board does not have a BIOS with CSM option.

Upon pressing 1 or Enter on the boot loader screen of either an installed FreeNAS installation, or the install media, will continue without issue.
I can confirm this is the exact same result regardless of configuring for BIOS or UEFI.

Once booted into FreeNAS, everything works perfectly. All drives are showing up and able to be configured.
Is there a boot parameter that I can use in order to work around this?

Hardware:
GIGABYTE [R272-Z32 (rev. 100)]
BIOS = R10
BMC = 12.04.1
Firmware is the latest version as of 2/5/2020
OS Installed on Mirror (2 x Samsung 860 PRO 512GB)
AMD EPYC 7232P processor
128GB RAM (DDR4 3200)

brian.ward

Cadet
free-nas-bootloader-hang.png

brian.ward

Cadet
Further testing of Free BSD indicates that the current Production Release of 12.1 experiences the same issue.
I tested using the "FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso" image.

free-bsd-12.1-bootloader-hang.png

I'm hoping that someone might know a system tunable or boot loader parameter to get around this issue.

As per usual, simply pressing Enter moves past this hang, and allows the system to boot.

free-bsd-12.1-bootloader-loads-after-pressing-enter.png

brian.ward

Cadet
Continuing to look at the issue here. It appears that the BIOS/UEFI is not setup to look for the boot files that are used by FreeBSD (underlying OS of FreeNAS).
boot1.efi and loader.efi

The UEFI process specifically is:
FreeBSD’s regular UEFI boot process has two stages: boot1.efi and loader.efi. The boot1.efi binary is loaded by the UEFI firmware. The loader.efi binary is then loaded by boot1.efi, after which it loads the kernel. Ideally each step of this process would involve a cryptographic handshake; boot1.efi would verify loader.efi which would in turn verify the kernel, thereby ensuring that only authorized code is run.

More information can be found at:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/UEFI

I am working with the manufacturer of the motherboard (also Gigabyte) and attempting to get them to add those files to auto detect.