Cifs user not being created

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drogo

Cadet
System info; Asrock C2550, 16G ECC ram, using ZFS, running version 9.2.1.6

I'm unable to access a newly created CIFS share that is not guest accessible. In searching the forums and internet, it turns out that my Cifs user is not being created.

[root@nas01] ~# pdbedit -Lv drogo
Username not found!
[root@nas01]~#

[drogo@nas01 /usr/local/etc]$ smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
../source3/rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:482: RPC fault code DCERPC_NCA_S_OP_RNG_ERROR received from host 127.0.0.1!
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : NT_STATUS_RPC_PROCNUM_OUT_OF_RANGE.

The user was created via the gui, and is able to access the box via ssh & gui without issue. It looks like I can't just create the user via CLI as it won't survive a reboot. Do I have to delete the user then recreate it? What effect will that have on existing files? Or will I just be able to use the same UID and have it work out?

Thanks!

D

dlavigne

It looks like I can't just create the user via CLI as it won't survive a reboot. Do I have to delete the user then recreate it? What effect will that have on existing files? Or will I just be able to use the same UID and have it work out?

Correct. Users/groups made at the CLI are not added to the configuration database and thus no longer exist on a reboot. Delete the user from the CLI then recreate at the GUI.

Drogo

Cadet
Removed via the CLI, but the user still persists in the GUI. Removing from there as well won't remove any files owned by the user, correct?

Edit: I decided to just go for it since I have several backups as well as snapshots. That worked. I'm not able to access the share directly since I'm not on-site, but I was able to successfully authenticate via smbclient using another host on the local network, which used to fail.

Thanks!!

D

dlavigne

Now I'm confused. Was the user created by the CLI? If so, how did it get into the GUI?

Drogo

Cadet
Not sure if it's related, but I had some rrd issues related to a time change last week. The clock was moved back, so the rrd file wouldn't update files that it saw to be in the future. As a result of that, half my reporting graphs were blank. I fixed that by deleting the appropriate rrd files. Not sure if this is somehow related to the clock skew.

Status
Not open for further replies.