CIFS share ask for P/W after a user is created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul5

Contributor
I upgraded to 9.3.1 from 9.2 with many problems most now resolved however I still have this with regards to now having to log into Freenas when entering through windows Network Icon. Vista and W7

All volumes have encryption.
Prevously 9.2 enter > Freenas > no p/w challenge.
> Media volume Media Dataset Movies dataset > open entry.
> Users Volume Users Dataset User 1's Dataset > password needed
> Users Volume Users Dataset User 2's Dataset > password needed

I'm on my second day here. Now on 9.2.0 as above everything worked fine, no issues.

So to start fresh I installed 9.3.1 clean install in a Virtual box with the same as above. Created two disks with the above datasets, detached and then imported as done from 9.2 to 9.3.1. using all defaults this time, for everything else failed. Yep I have no idea!

This is what happens on this vbox install and on the upgrade:

1-Created User Media with default group > /nonexistant (then changed to Media home directory) > disabled password.
2-Media dataset owner root > group media > permissions recursively
3-CIFS share /mnt/Media > allow guest access for both boxes.
4-CIFS settings > group > media > the default Max is also Samba 2
5-Go to a Windows PC > Network > Freenas > free entry no password challenge. All good so far.

6-Create a New user 'me' > default group > Password > /nonexistant (then changed to user 1)
7-User 1 dataset > Owner 'me' > group 'me' > recursively
8-Go to Windows PC and p/w challenge at freenas icon.

Going further by creating a share makes no difference.

I also tried the 'nobody' as in a previous post but no effect create a user and guest access requires p/w entry to freenas but I noticed this:
If I create a new user 'me' as above '6' and check the disable password, only this time there is a share (no guest access) that points to user 1 dataset, Windows tells me I don't have access at freenas icon. If I then uncheck it (still no password) I can enter Freenas and read right to User 1 directory.

This has to be a bug for it seems tied to passwords dialogues and CIFS guest access in freenas. But I can't believe I'm the only one suffering here.

Hostname Test.local
Build FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201509022158
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
Memory 2811MB
System Time Fri Oct 16 19:59:42 PDT 2015
Uptime 7:59PM up 4:10, 0 users
Load Average 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Any help please.

Last edited:

Paul5

Contributor
I'll post what I found in case it helps anyone in a similar issue and password request:

The bug/conflict for me on upgrading from 9.2.0 to 9.3.1. It has to do with the user named 'me'. It seems it possibly conflicts with '201' 'messagebus' user, delete user 'me' and create user 'jo' and all seems well. I only found this by doing an install on an old PC and using the Wizard. It would not let me create user 'me' However I can still create user 'me' in 9.3.1 the standard way which breaks things, not good. In my case, on upgrading it broke by having an existing user 'me' that's a few day's i'll never get back.

I still get some errors in the shell though:
STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionscreate_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Oct 18 19:46:45 Test smbd18248: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsFailed to fetch record!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I would file a bug ticket on the naming issues you are experiencing.

Paul5

Contributor
I would file a bug ticket on the naming issues you are experiencing.

Yeah, I did that shortly after my original post. After reading my post about 10 times I realized that 1-this is a bug and 2- the answer is in what I wrote.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you provide the bug number for people to track the issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.