Resource icon

CIFS / SMB (Samba) Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This guide has been moved to the Resources section and can be found at this link:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/smb-tips-and-tricks.15/

This thread now serves as the discussion thread for this guide. The original version can also be found below:

I've decided to consolidate various tips, tricks, and random config info into a thread. Hopefully someone will find it useful.
Access based share enumeration in CIFS
If you configure your share as I highlight below, then the share will only be visible to users who have read or write access to the share during share enumeration (for example net view \\freenas). This how-to is for AD member servers, but the steps can be modified to accommodate standalone samba servers.

Step 1:
In windows, right-click "Computer Management" and click "Run as Administrator". Enter admin credentials, then right-click on your computer in the left pane and click "Connect to another computer". Enter the address of your FreeNAS server.

Step 2:
In Computer Management, expand "System" -> "Shared Folders" -> "Shares" and right click on the share for which you want to configure Access Based Share Enumeration, and click on Properties.

Step 3:
In the Properties window, click on "Share Permissions". Add the groups that need access to the share and remove the "Everyone" entry. Click "Apply" then "OK". Close computer management.
ABE1.JPG

Step 4:
Open the FreeNAS web GUI and add the following auxiliary parameter to your CIFS share: "access based share enum=yes"
ABE2.jpg

Done.

Steps (1) - (3) can be achieved locally on a FreeNAS server through the "sharesec" command-line utility. Its manpage can be found here: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/sharesec.1.html. Using it requires knowing the SIDs of groups that you want to add / modify.

Note: Steps (1)-(3) edit Windows NT ACLs, which are stored in samba's share_info.tdb, which is not affected by your choice of "Unix" or "Windows permissions type".

Hide a share from all users
Method 1:
Uncheck the box "Browsable to Network Clients" in your share's configuration.

Method 2:
Append a "$" to the your share's name.
Hidden Share.JPG

Note: I have found Method 2 to be somewhat more reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Let's make a deal.

You post this in the resources section and I let the Comic Sans usage slide.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Can't you just move it there? Moving things around is above my pay grade.
I can, but I have to put in work, which makes me morally obligated to remove the stupid font.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok, it's in the Resources section and I've reassigned it to @anodos - I've decrapified it (and changed CIFS to SMB wherever I caught that one), so blame him for any stupid fonts, glittery GIFs or any other disgraceful displays of poor taste.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/smb-tips-and-tricks.15/

I've also deleted the reserved posts, as they should no longer be needed. As I'll write in the OP, I recommend that this thread serve as the discussion thread for the new Resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.