CIFS Share not working for windows client [Solved]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Chaps,

1st install, please be gentle.
Install went pretty well, very straightforward, all networking etc good, set it standalone, not AD.
Followed the instructions, created volume, dataset, user, group, CIFS share, (same as i have done on ubuntu servers).
Windows 8.1 & win-10 clients can't connect (command line says "error 86 network password is not correct"), and yet the ubuntu clients work fine. NFS share is working fine too with ubuntu client.
Can't seem to find any debugging clues, it's a bit of a black box, the log files don't seem to help.
I've created a 2nd share (& a 2nd user), and it also fails, so I'm assuming it's a server-based issue not user- or share-based, which is a start!

Used username "workgroup\username" in both clients, one works (unix) the others (win) don't.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hiya m0nkey_
Thanks, very helpful in confirming that I've done that bit right! It was worthwhile checking.
I went through the whole process & got exactly the same result, so I stopped putting "freenas" in my google searches, just "nas win 8.1 not correct" and got far too many rubbish suggestions.
However, after a hundred or so, I noticed a mention of "time"
I checked the freenas time, and got a surprise. I used the wizard to set Europe/London, but it didn't stick.
System time is "Tue Sep 05 00:45:54 PDT 2017"
Is this normal? It's certainly not what everyone else on the network thinks, perhaps the ubuntu clients don't care, but the win clients are fussy?
How do I get that to read right, or is that normal?

yup, tried that.
upload_2017-9-5_15-11-54.png

Yet the system time still says
upload_2017-9-5_15-12-25.png

I did go through the "wizard" at the first stage of the web gui & selected "eu/lon"
Hmm...
I think a scratch & re-install is called for unless I get a less nuclear option ;-)

Hmm, interesting, I scratched the whole thing & re-installed (without the lacp group). The wizard once again didn't apply the timezone, so I manually set it & rebooted, success - the timezone & time are correct now.
Re-created the volume, dataset, group, user, and shares (both nfs and cifs).
Same result, ubuntu client= good for both nfs & cifs, win8.1 same failure to map "system error 86 network password is not correct".
I can, however, now browse the freenas server & see the share, which is better than before, and I've found the log setting & set it to debug level into syslog, so i'll try that see if there's any clues there. Looks a LOT like its the windows machines not the freenas server...but too many google results to find the answer.

Well, that was interesting.
Finally found the debug settings, and where the debug trace was being stored, which was a great help.
So after testing with Ubuntu client, Wind8.1 and win10 clients & comparing traces, eventually decided to try various options, and eventually stumbled upon the "Auxiliary Parameters" in the SMB service.
"ntlm auth = yes"
Because windows clients are STOOPID, well who'd have known?
So that worked then, shame there wasn't a quick answer, maybe add it to the FAQ!?
Thanks for the sounding board.

Status
Not open for further replies.