Mounting CIFS share with Windows Permissions in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdybro

Dabbler
Hi everyone :)

I am in honest doubt wether this at all is a FreeNAS or a Ubuntu-question, and wether it belongs here (User Authentication) or in Sharing, so please bear with me here :)

I have joined my FreeNAS to my Windows domain. From my Windows PCs and servers I can easily connect to my shares, setup with Windows permissions.

But if I try to map a share in my Ubuntu server, it gives me logon failure.

This is what it says in the console when adding using mount.cifs or mount -t cifs:

mount error(13): Permission denied

This is what is in the syslog:

kernel: [204866.829700] Status code returned 0xc000006d NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
kernel: [204866.829706] CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
kernel: [204866.830221] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

Is this because I have to join my Ubuntu to the domain also? Or can I somehow get around this? I have searched on Google a lot, but with no results. I hope someone can guide me in the right direction.

Thank you, regards :)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I am in honest doubt wether this at all is a FreeNAS or a Ubuntu-question, and wether it belongs here (User Authentication) or in Sharing, so please bear with me here :)

I have joined my FreeNAS to my Windows domain. From my Windows PCs and servers I can easily connect to my shares, setup with Windows permissions.

But if I try to map a share in my Ubuntu server, it gives me logon failure.
The statement highlighted in red says to me that this would be a Ubuntu/Linux issue and would
best be solved by a visit to the Ubuntu forums with some search attempts there.
Googling this issue turned up this.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
Hope that helps...

rdybro

Dabbler
The statement highlighted in red says to me that this would be a Ubuntu/Linux issue and would
best be solved by a visit to the Ubuntu forums with some search attempts there.
Googling this issue turned up this.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
Hope that helps...

I have actually looked at that exact site several times.

My current line in /etc/fstab looks like this:

//hostname/sharename /mnt/folder cifs credentials=/home/username/.smbcredentials 0 0

My credentials file contains username, password and domain. I have tried with the uid and gid options too in the line in fstab but removed them to limit error sources.

As told I have tried with both mount.cifs and mount -t cifs with the exact same result.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful :(

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I have no problem connecting to a domain-joined FreeNAS server from a Centos 6.7 box (not joined to the domain). I script it rather than modifying /etc/fstab.
My credentials file consists of the following
Code:
username=Kung
password=Pa$$w0rd1 #the $ and numbers make it more hacker-proof
domain=FOO.COM

The mount.cifs command I use looks like this
Code:
mount.cifs -o credentials=/path/to/my/credentials.txt "//192.168.42.42/LIFE ANSWERS" /mnt/FreeNAS/LIFE_ANSWERS

or to put it differently
Code:
mount.cifs -o credentials=<path to credentials> "//<ip-address>/<share name>" <local mount point>

rdybro

Dabbler
I have no problem connecting to a domain-joined FreeNAS server from a Centos 6.7 box (not joined to the domain). I script it rather than modifying /etc/fstab.
My credentials file consists of the following
Code:
username=Kung
password=Pa$$w0rd1 #the $ and numbers make it more hacker-proof
domain=FOO.COM

The mount.cifs command I use looks like this
Code:
mount.cifs -o credentials=/path/to/my/credentials.txt "//192.168.42.42/LIFE ANSWERS" /mnt/FreeNAS/LIFE_ANSWERS

or to put it differently
Code:
mount.cifs -o credentials=<path to credentials> "//<ip-address>/<share name>" <local mount point>

This is pretty much exactly what I do - just in the fstab, which shouldn't make any differences - and if I run it as a command I get the same result.

I have tried making a share on a Windows machine, and this works fine to the very same Linux machine. Furthermore the share permissions from FreeNAS works fine on my Windows computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.