CIFS: Need to create FreeNAS user for every Windows User?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bijon

Cadet
Hi guys,

Just set up my first FreeNAS box last weekend. I have a FreeNAS user that has the same username and password as the account I use on my main Windows box and it is in group shareusers. I have a dataset setup which gives all permissions to the shareusers group and a CIFS share on that dataset. This works fine with my main PC when I am logged in with the username that I also added to FreeNAS.

During my initial setup I also added a user named freenas which I also put in the shareusers group. This was meant to be kind of a generic user that I could use to login from another machine without needing to use the credentials of the user on my main PC. This user is not present on any machine except for my FreeNAS box. I cannot seem to do anything that will allow me to connect to the share using this user on any device I own.

Did I miss something simple? Am I trying to do something I cannot do with FreeNAS? Any help would be appreciated.

Bijon

Cadet
Well it was something simple but I'm still not sure what caused it. I just stopped and started the CIFS service and everything seems to work now. I'm pretty confused as to why because I don't remember making any changes to the service config. Anyways I guess I'm happy that it works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.