cifs authentication problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjremote

Cadet
cifs authentication problems (SOLVED)

OK here goes. I have done some reading and tried the guides to no avail. actually I though I almost had but NO.

building a freenas 8.3.0 setup on a homemade computer
intel 775 board q45 chipset
core 2 duo proc low end 1.7 gihz?
8GB ram
6 2tb drive setup raidz. I know not ideal but I have backups and I can afford too be down in case of a bad drive.

home network currently setup as such
2 desktop pc (both homemade by me) both win 7 one pro other home premium
1 ipad
1 htpc
2 laptops used sparingly one win 7home other linux

trying too configure cifs shares
1 for each user for personal stuff
1 for the multimedia accessable to all

setup volume data
setup datasets
/mnt/data/usr1
/mnt/data/usr2

creates usr1 and usr2 and set home folders accordingly
changed ownership of datasets to corresponding usr set permissions too 770
created groups usr1 and usr2. put usr1 and to into said groups
created cifs share path too appropriate folders
settings
browsable and inherit owner checked
authentication =local user
local master checked
large rw checked

used one pc to navigate to share. when I tried to access it asked for credentials, supplied and logged in successfully,
setup second user and share in the same manner with its own dataset and home folder. went to login and was denied!. went to second pc tried to login to second share first, denied. try to access other share that i setup first=success.
ipad same thing. double check ALL setting I can think of, both are setup exactly in the same manner as far as I can tell

like a windows guy I think hey reboot,,, so i did. now I cannot access any share under any circumstances using a login from any machine.

so are there any other settings I need too double check or something that I missed?

also I dont understand why two shares that were stetup in the same manner would act so differently and then the second change on a reboot??

THANK YOU in advance for any help

SOLVED my own problems.

started over completely and followed the tutorial here http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?8894-FreeNAS-8-2-Permissions-Set-Up-Example-for-Dummies and low and behold I was able to setup three shares just as I wanted. and it all survived reboots so I am a happy camper so far. the next project will be to add jails and install plugins. I have more reading too do

Status
Not open for further replies.