Problems CIFS and AFP sharing the same ZFS dataset - 8.0.4-RELEASE-x86 (10351)

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitehawk

Cadet
Problems CIFS and AFP sharing the same ZFS dataset - FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x86 (10351)

Who am I? I'm a networking and freenas n00b and know nothing about Apple's things they do.

I am setting up a personal NAS and donating some space to the non-profit startup company I am working for. I have no issues with CIFS, I am able to map the datasets w/ local authentication. I will have to manage multiple users, where everyone will have secured access to a single dataset, only some to another dataset, then only me to my personal dataset. The problem, obviously LOL, is the salesperson with one of those apples is having issues accessing the dataset and whatever they create (like a folder) can't be accessed by anyone else who is in that same dataset.

How did I setup AFP?
Prior to this, I already created 3 Windows shares for each dataset, then activated CIFS with local user, local master, time server domain, send files with sendfile(2), support DOS file attributes, enable home directories, and home directory browsing all checked (although, I didn't select a home directory). Works great for all windows users.

- Then I added an Apple Share for [Dataset 2] via Sharing
- Set a share password
- Checked Disk Discovery (mode: default)
- Hit Ok
- Then moved to Services and opened AFP settings
- Local Access checked
- Max. Connections: 2
- Hit Ok
- Switched AFP on via Services
- Moving to the OSX
- Go > Connect to Server
- Prompted to authenticate, used the user name for SalesPerson3 (SP3) then that PW
- Prompted to authenticate again, using the AFP share password
- We successfully entered the dataset
- We created a folder
- We exited out, then when we click the name under Shared for freenas, it prompts again for the USER/PW, we enter again the SP3 user name and PW, then nothing happens.

Problem 1: The OSx user can't connect to dataset after the initial setup

Problem 2: Windows users can't access the OSx user's folder he created, i'm guess that will be for all files the OSx creates.

Problem 3: The OSx created new strange folders in that dataset, i think is now SOLVED by integrating this solution: http://blog.graceabundant.com/archives/2011/10/freenas-simultaneous-afpcifs-shares-done-neatly/

Before and After messing with AFP: The windows users are able to access all folders in the dataset they have access to.

MORE INFORMATION about the setup:

FreeNAS is setup on a PC:
Hard drive 1 = FreeNAS OS only
Hard drive 2 = ZFS RAID1 mirror-A
Hard drive 3 = ZFS RAID1 mirror-A
Connected to network via PCI card to CAT5 to DD-WRT router (the router all users are on).

ZFS Volumes:
/mnt/namehere/ (492GB)

Dataset 1: /mnt/namehere/mypersonalstuff/ (190GB) (user owner: Me) (group owner: mypersonalstuff)
Dataset 2: /mnt/namehere/companysales/ (60GB) (user owner: nobody) (group owner: companysales)
Dataset 3: /mnt/namehere/companyexecutives/ (100GB) (user owner: nobody) (group owner: companyexecutives)

Users:
Me - Win7 (owns Dataset 1)
CEO - Win7
VP - Win7
SP1 - Win7
SP2 - Vista
SP3 - OSX

Groups:
mypersonalstuff - (members: Me), (group owns Dataset 1)
companysales - (members: Me, CEO, VP, SP1, SP2, SP3) (group owns Dataset 2)
companyexecutives - (members: Me, CEO, VP) (group owns Dataset 3)

CIFS shares:
Share to Dataset 1
Share to Dataset 2
Share to Dataset 3

AFP shares:
Share to Dataset 2

For the nasty folks who yell at people for not first researching: I spent at least 20 hours researching and learning, reading 30+ tutorials, how-tos and youtube guides that got me this far; guess, test, guess, test, guess, test, etc. It is getting more difficult to hashout these very specific problems, so your assistance is invaluable at this point. Thank you in Advance!

matlock

Contributor
I quickly read through your post- then read it again...

I didn't see you mention the style permissions being used on the datasets. Just to confirm are you using unix or windows for the permissions of the dataset?
I'm not certain if this is relevant or not- but was my first thought after reading...

Capture.PNG

-Matlock

louisk

Patron
Its not recommended to share the same dataset between CIFS and AFP. They don't have the same requirements for valid filenames. It tends to cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.