Datasets, AFP shares, and changing permissions at file/folder level

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorR

Contributor
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511280648
Mac Clients OS X 10.11.2

1) created a Unix volume and dataset with Volume Manager default settings.
2)created a Unix child dataset within the existing volume dataset for project.
3) changed the dataset ownership to a user(AsstEd) and group(Admin) and gave both read/write/execute permissions
msllloA.png

4) Created an AFP share

EcszXJU.png

5) mount and login to the share as owner AsstEd and have the ability to create and delete folders. But, I cannot adjust the permissions on folder within finder as the FreeNAS User Guide says it should happen
y8ep5c8.png

What am I missing here in my dataset/share permissions that would allow the adjustments at the file/folder level?

Last edited:

VictorR

Contributor
Were you able to figure this out?
No, not at all. And I can't find anything around the internet via other websites

I should correct the share pic above to show that I have also tried making users part of a group and entered the group name "@Admin" on the read-write line, it still did not work

I did get help with setting up home directories/shares, though.

Last edited:

VictorR

Contributor
Had the same problem. Exactly the same!

Did you ever find a solution?
I can't even figure out if this is a FreeNAS bug or my incompetence(I always assume this first)
But, there is nothing in the User Guide, forums, or videos - that I can find - which specifically show adjusting folder/file permissions of an AFP share from a Mac client. Plenty say it is possible. But, none actually show it happening.

rockya

Dabbler
No, i didn't found a solition. I'm now using smb shares and useres and permissions from freenas

VictorR

Contributor
No, i didn't found a solition. I'm now using smb shares and useres and permissions from freenas

That's what I may have to do.
So, you set the CIFS permissions via FreeNAS GUI
Are you then able to set individual folder/file permissions within the share from (Mac) clients?

I've even thought about going as far as getting a Windows laptop for the all-Mac office, just so they could set folder/file permissions in a CIFS/SMB share

adrianwi

Guru

VictorR

Contributor
Whilst you probably aren't using IPv6 it might be worth setting a default adapter.

I had lots of problems with AFP shares and this fixed them. Here's a link to the thread

Hmmmmmm...Reading through that whole thread, it seems these problems are somewhat specific to Time Machine and Jails.
I'm not using either on this NAS. Our use is simply Mac clients connecting to AFP shares - which works - and then changing the permissions on folders/files within the share via the "Get Info"

Reading through these forums, i get the impression that there aren't a lot of Mac-only, AFP, users. Most are creating NFS or CIFS shares and accessing those with Macs.

Eniac74

Dabbler
Hmmmmmm...Reading through that whole thread, it seems these problems are somewhat specific to Time Machine and Jails.
I'm not using either on this NAS. Our use is simply Mac clients connecting to AFP shares - which works - and then changing the permissions on folders/files within the share via the "Get Info"

Reading through these forums, i get the impression that there aren't a lot of Mac-only, AFP, users. Most are creating NFS or CIFS shares and accessing those with Macs.

I use a Mac-only/AFP, although I started out with a CIFS share. However, I ran into some disturbing problems, which can be followed on this thread from yesteryear.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ting-applications-to-write.28792/#post-193609

I cannot rule out that there was a fix to that problem, but it seemed elusive at the time, and I opted for the easy way out, which was to use AFP share. Your problem is different, but I am just telling you so you do not solve one problem in exchange for another...

Status
Not open for further replies.