AFP shares and permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixeltje

Dabbler
Hello,

I've been using my Freenas server for a while now, and never really had problems, but today for no apparent reason, that changed. I've configured freenas to provide three shares over AFP (Data, Home and Backup). There al also three active users that use the files on these shares. Normally, when user 1 creates a file or folder, user 2 and 3 are able to read, write and execute every file within that folder.

When I got home today one of my roommates told me he was experiencing problems with a folder he created, and my other roommate wanted to use. Since I did not change anything for a while, I was a little surprised. Therefor I've created a folder and indeed concluded that no one else was able to open it, let alone write or execute files within the folder.

So now there are two things I like to know;
1) What could explain the sudden change in permissions?
2) What is the best way to set up a share to be used by three (or more) users? Currently I'm using the ' 'allow' list and 'read/write acces' list in the settings windows of the share. Each users has its own group, and so all users are allowed on the data and homes share, and only one user can use the backup share.

I'm using Freenas 9.2.1.5 RELEASE - x64.

I hope someone can help me out, there are so much tutorials about permissions, but they are all different and most of them are pointing in different directions.

D

dlavigne

Were you able to figure this out? If not, was there any errors in /var/log/messages or any indication that the config changed?

Pixeltje

Dabbler
Well, 'Fix' isn't the right word i suppose, I've checked all permissions for users, shares and volumes, and one way or another it seems to be working again. However, I've had to grant more permissions (also execute for "other" rather than only R+W) than I like.It works for the time being but still no clue to why these permissions changed so suddenly.

I'm planning on building a new machine, when it comes to installing it I'm going to be more thorough in the way I set up the shares etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.