Strange issues with User ID and AFP: version 8.0.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using version 8.0.2 release -i386 (8288) I've setup an APF share for my Macs on a home network. When accessing from one user I have full assess to the shares, when switching to the other user I'm able to see the folders/files but unable to access (no access symbol) I've created a "Group" called "Home" added the users to this group,
set the permissions "owner" (User) root, and Owner (Group) to Home The Mode is owner, Group is set to read, write, execute. If I go and modify the user id of each user (switch them around or change to a different number i.e. 1001 to 1003 I'm unable to access any files on the share point. The only user ID that works and allows full access is 1001.
When accessing via SMB from user ID 1001 I'm able to see and access all folders/files
but when attempting to access from another user ID I can see the first level of folder but nothing else within the folders.
I seem to be missing something here and don't understand, I've followed the documents for the setup of groups, users, I'm sure it's something simple that I'm unaware of
Also both Macs are on OS X 10.7.2 (Lion)

Nik

Explorer
Hi westcoastakita
I have the same problem. I found out that the files written on the share are set as follows:

17 drwx--S--- 11 user01 staff 11 Oct 31 23:42 Documents/

User01 (ID 501) is my user and staff my group. Looks like the right written on the share are exclusive to the User and not as set on the ZFS file system where I have set the right to 770.

Nik

Thanks Nik for your response, I tried a number of things with the user accounts then after 5 days packed it in and replaced the server. I installed a Synology DS411+II with 4 X 2TB drives, setup the share, all done within 1 hr.
I've been jerking around with FreeNAS for way to long and it's just taken up way to much time. If I had more knowledge of UNIX and all the inner workings I may have been able to resolve the issues, but I was at the point
of frustration and need to move onto more productive projects. Thanks again for your response (only response) By the way the Synology has been running for the past 4 days without a single hitch, no issue with user accounts
permissions between Macs on Lion, Win7 or Linux workstations. Synology cost money but my time is worth something. This product comes with excellent cx support which so far haven't required! and it's running an embedded Linux OS.

ptmixer

Dabbler
Though I SEEM to have my FreeNAS 8 working ok I am surprised at how difficult it has been to get things working that I though would be simpler. For example, I don't think trips to the terminal should be required to create user accounts, their default directories, and set permissions.

Perhaps the developers are much more concerned with the high end of the market and features for enterprise users working well, but I would hope as development continues it will be possible to see FreeNAS as easy to setup up as a NAS like you mention, Synology.

The documentation is on its way, a nice addition would be maybe to illustrate a few scenarios and how to set things up in those scenarios. That's the type of thing I might consider contributing myself, but frankly I'm not sure I've done it correctly!

Status
Not open for further replies.