Cannot connect to AFP Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnFLi

Contributor
I am trying to create a new AFP share (I don't have any existing) and everything seems to work fine, but when I try connecting from a mac, it does not accept my user name and password.

I have the Share setup as:
Code:
/mnt/Share
   and the dataset set as /mnt/Share/Sharing

permissions for /mnt/Share is: Owner(user): root Owner (Group): serveradministration
Apply Owner(user), apply owner(group) and Apply Mode is all checked
THe Mode boxes are all checked except for other write
Permission type: Unix

Same permission setup for the dataset /mnt/Share/Sharing
The user account I am signed into the mac as is in the serveradministration group.
I go to finder to connect to this new share afp://freenasmachinename i then get prompted for a password. but when I type it in, it tells me to F'off
Thoughts about whats wrong?? I have restarted teh mac machine, and teh freenas machine

Build FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz
Memory 65392MB

When you log in to the AFP share from the Mac, which user and password are you entering? Try "root" as the user, and the password assigned to "root" on FreeNAS. Does that work?

If you can log in as root, then the next step is to investigate the serveradministration group on FreeNAS. Confirm that the user name you are using on the Mac is assigned to the serveradministration group in the FreeNAS Accounts->User window.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Nope, I just tried logging in as root, and it gave me the same response.

I'm out of ideas

nojohnny101

Wizard
Here are a few things you can try:

1) are you typing the IP address directly of the freeness box instead of a domain name?

2) i would try creating a fresh user in the freenas GUI and make sure you appropriate set the owner to that new user of your dataset

3) when i first setup mine (it's been a while), i got rejected for a while because i didn't realize which login name freenas was using. in the GUI you can see there is a field called "username" and then there is "full name". one of those is the correct one (again it has been long, i can't remember which) and one doesn't work as the login name.

good luck.

also i would check permissions through the CLI by navigating to the parent folder where the dataset is and then running "ls -la"

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I am trying to create a new AFP share (I don't have any existing) and everything seems to work fine, but when I try connecting from a mac, it does not accept my user name and password.

I have the Share setup as:
Code:
/mnt/Share
   and the dataset set as /mnt/Share/Sharing

permissions for /mnt/Share is: Owner(user): root Owner (Group): serveradministration
Apply Owner(user), apply owner(group) and Apply Mode is all checked
THe Mode boxes are all checked except for other write
Permission type: Unix

Same permission setup for the dataset /mnt/Share/Sharing
The user account I am signed into the mac as is in the serveradministration group.
I go to finder to connect to this new share afp://freenasmachinename i then get prompted for a password. but when I type it in, it tells me to F'off
Thoughts about whats wrong?? I have restarted teh mac machine, and teh freenas machine

Build FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz
Memory 65392MB
Have you tried using an SMB share instead? I have no problems attaching to my FreeNAS system's SMB-based shares from my Macs. Apple has been shifting from AFP to SMB for some time, and my understanding is that Apple plans to drop AFP completely in the future.

JohnFLi

Contributor
1) I have tried the DNS name, and the IP address.
2) Created a new user on freenas, and I am able to sign on to the share from the apple machine to that share using the freenas local account.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Spearfoot ---- I can create and connect to SMB share's without issue.
I'm trying AFP in hopes I can get spotlight working (I have some other things to try) mdutil -i on /Volumes/share only gives me 'indexing disabled'

Last edited:

JohnFLi

Contributor
quick note: I forgot to mention that I did try ls -la on the share itself. It did show the correct user owner and correct AD group owner.
think this could be an issue with 9.10?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
quick note: I forgot to mention that I did try ls -la on the share itself. It did show the correct user owner and correct AD group owner.
think this could be an issue with 9.10?
You're using Active Directory?

JohnFLi

Contributor
yes I am.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

JohnFLi

Contributor
Yes, it is part of the domain.
The system (machine name) is in AD.
wbinfo -u does list all the AD users
wbinfo -g lists the AD groups

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Yes, it is part of the domain.
The system (machine name) is in AD.
wbinfo -u does list all the AD users
wbinfo -g lists the AD groups
"I got nuthin'!" :smile:

You seem to have found a bona fide bug!

Would you be willing to file a bug report? There's an easy-to-use form you can use at System->Support in the FreeNAS GUI.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Ok, bug report submitted. While doing that I found another issue. lol The catagory dropdown box is empty and wouldn't let me submit without it being populated. I included that in the report I gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.