SAMBA/SMB/CIFS: How to require authentication before listing shares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I successfully setup my freeNAS to allow CIFS/SMB, but as soon as any client hits \\mynas, all the available shares are shown, even if he is not authenticated on the NAS yet.

I'd like to show the available share only AFTER the user is authenticated.

Thanks,

Upd: Solved

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you are using Windows, that's not an option AFAIK. You do not have to authenticate until you try to open a share. The location of the shares doesn't really exist physically. It's not a given location, just a list of the shares the server has setup that are not hidden.

To put it bluntly, there's no security risk from seeing the list of shares on the server which is why it is how it is.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So are you saying you didn't try to search for it yourself first?

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to read the rules and break them if they are inconvenient for you.....

Actually, I searched A LOT before posting, I just didn't find anything useful at first (just wrong assumptions from clearly not-so-experts wanna-be..). I found the solution only after I posted here.

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks for posting the solution. I haven't seen that here before and I've seen nearly every post in these forums. Isn't there also a checkbox in the CIFS setup that says "browsable"? (not sure of Italian translation) Did you try that?

Hi protosd,
first of all, thanks for your guide "two users with a shared folder": I largely based my setup on that.

In my little experience, "Browsable" just hides the available shares, but it still allows the first unauthenticated connection. The two function are similar, but I think that denying the connection is better, both for usability and for security.

Status
Not open for further replies.