CIFS and Home Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cainram

Dabbler
Hello!
I have a FreeNAS server (9.2.1.6) and have configured a number of CIFS shares. I'm not using a domain or AD, I am accessing the shares via a workgroup and am using Windows ACLs for more granular user permissions. Everything is working great.

I would like all of my users to each have a home folder. I don't want them to be able to see each other's folders or have access to them. I feel like I should be able to do this via Unix ACLs but am having some unexpected behavior.

I have a dataset called home and a in that is a folder for each user named with their username. What permissions should I set for the home folder and what permissions should I set for each user's folder?

Thanks in advance, you all have been so much help in the past, I'm sure this is a no-brainer for someone out there.

Pharfar

Dabbler
I don't think you can hide folders being "broadcasted" on your home network. But you can make them private. Make datasets for each user in "home", change permissions on each, so that only 1 user has access. If it doesnt work from the GUI, you need to do it from a shell with chmod.
http://ss64.com/bash/chmod.html (interactive, you can check / uncheck boxes)
8iOhB.jpg

Cainram

Dabbler
The settings you have there are exactly what I'm trying to apply. Here's the problem now: When I make my Mode grid look like yours, I click change and get 'Mount point permissions succesfully updated'. But when I go in to check, I see that Read and Execute for Other are now checked! This happens every time... Is there something I'm missing or is this a bug?

Pharfar

Dabbler
I had the same bug :smile: It drove me c r a z y. You have to do it in a terminal / shell.
If you're the lucky owner of a linux system, just open a terminal and ssh into the FreeNas server. On Windows I recommend using Putty. I think the shell that is launched from the GUI tends to be unstable.
ixpa8.jpg

Pharfar

Dabbler
Is the "home" directory located in a read-only directory? ls -al will show permissions. You could post a screenshot or do a ls -al > txt.txt and paste the output here

Whattteva

Wizard
DO NOT execute chmod if you are using windows ACL's. You will bork the permissions. There is a special command for win acl's. Unfortunately, the name escapes me at the moment.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When you are using Windows acl's you can't use chmod because that is Unix. To change permissions you would use setfacl.

Have you looked into the home directory feature in cifs? It might solve your problem.

Pharfar

Dabbler
Status
Not open for further replies.