Home Directory Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prkl8r

Dabbler
Home Directory Permissions Setup

Trying to get a test NAS built on a VM before rolling it out.

USER SETUP
I have 3 basic user classes
Admins, represented by UserA, Groups: UserA, UserB etc.., Users, Public and Admins
UserA.jpg

General Users, UserB, Groups: UserB, Users, Public
UserB.jpg

Network devices, DeviceC, Groups: DeviceC, Public
DeviceC.jpg

The goal being that I can separate folder access due to basic groups as well as having each user have access to their own Home Directory with Admins able to browse them all.

DIRECTORY SETUP
/mnt/Data1/ 755 Owner: root Group: wheel
/mnt/Data1/
/mnt/Data1/Data 750 Owner:UserA Group:Admin (Data available to admins only)
/mnt/Data1/Home 755 Owner:UserA Group:Users (Folder for all of the Home Directory folders)
/mnt/Data1/Home/UserA 770 Owner: UserA Group: UserA
/mnt/Data1/Home/UserB 770 Owner: UserB Group: UserB
/mnt/Data1/Home/UserA 775 Owner: DeviceC Group: DeviceC
/mnt/Data1/Media 775 Owner:UserA Group:Public

SHARES
CIFS shares for the Data, Home, and Media folders
CIFS has Home Directories enabled to the Home folder path.
CIFS.PNG

CURRENT OPERATION
The operation and access of the Data, Home and Media CIFS shares are working fine. Groups that should have access do and those that should not are unable to connect.

PROBLEMS
1. There is a "homes" folder when connecting to the share. I am not sure how it go there but am unable to remove it. When trying to connect I get: 'The network path was not found error'. I would really like to get rid of this if this is not an expected result.
homes.jpg

2. When trying to enter the main share folder for the user it gives me an error with the same network path not found error.
UserA2.jpg

Am I doing something wrong with my permissions or some basic setup. I am new to FreeNAS and am very excited about getting it up and running and just need to solve these couple of issues first. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!

Prkl8r

Dabbler
Would there be any other info to provide that would help? I have read all the setup guides and see some general info but am unable to really see what the desired results should look like.

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

jiblett1000

Dabbler
Doesn't really figure out what the issue is, but if you ssh into the server, you'd probably be able to remove the homes folder as the root/sudo user. Another possibilty.... if you click on the services tab and edit the CIFS settings, there should be an option called "Enable home directories". If it's enabled for some reason, try disabling it.

Prkl8r

Dabbler
jiblett,

Took a look and saw the a directory does not exist error.
samba_log.jpg

So I created /mnt/data1/Home/usera as the log was looking for and like magic it worked. Not sure why it had to be this name. Seems like I should be able to set it to whatever. Thanks for showing me where those logs are!

Prkl8r

Dabbler
I am having some trouble locating the source of the 'homes' folder in the command line. I tried looking in the /mnt/data1/ folder but it only lists the Data, Home, and Media folders. I tried cycling both the CIFS as well as the use home directory's but neither seemed to do the trick.

jiblett1000

Dabbler
jiblett,

Took a look and saw the a directory does not exist error.
View attachment 1565

So I created /mnt/data1/Home/usera as the log was looking for and like magic it worked. Not sure why it had to be this name. Seems like I should be able to set it to whatever. Thanks for showing me where those logs are!

Not quite sure if I'm understanding correctly but.....You originally created the folder "UserA", but tried to mount to "usera"? If that's the case, remember that unix based systems are case sensitive so that "UserA" is not the same file/folder as "usera". Either way glad I was able to help! :D

Prkl8r

Dabbler
Well I had originally created the folder 'FolderA' and set the UserA home directory to that. I thought that would then use 'FolderA' as the home folder and the UserA folder I saw when connecting to the FreeNAS network location was a virtual folder to the FolderA. Not sure if this is common Unix knowledge or I missed it in the setup guide but if not would be nice to have a walk through doc on getting this set up.

Any ideas where to find the unicorn like directory that is that 'homes' folder?

Thanks again.

jiblett1000

Dabbler
Got it. My guess is that when u checked the "use home folders" in the CIFS settings that it linked the folders together. That's my best guess. As for the "homes" folder, I'm gonna have to think about that one some more. My first instinct was to check it out on the command line, but if you can't see there, then that's really very weird. I'm actually encountering something on my freenas right now where CIFS and NFS are behaving differently. Perhaps if you can try connecting through a different service and see if it still shows up. If it doesn't perhaps we can narrow it down to a CIFS error.

pete_c20

Dabbler
For some reason I too have a 'homes' folder that has appeared. I have re-installed FreeNAS 3 times now and played with various configurations for Users/Groups and also trying to share via CIFs. The first couple of installs, each with all sorts of configurations tried out (sorry I can't be more descriptive than that as I've tried out so much stuff in the last week or two that I'm confused as to what works and what doesn't ) this 'homes' folder never appeared. Now it has and I'm not aware how.

I've had windows sharing to work at various times and then I've reconfigured permissions and sharing in the hope of learning what works and what does not, as I can't afford to have a backup system that I don't understand. In doing so the system has ceased to work properly again. Unfortunately, despite watching youtube tutorials on permissions it still isn't intuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.