AFP: Sharing Home (~) Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnstonjs

Cadet
I've been playing with FreeNAS for a few weeks now within VirtualBox as I await my new NAS hardware. In general, I'm extremely impressed and can't wait to get the whole system built up. I do have one nagging issue which I haven't figured out how to resolve:

Has anyone been able to share user home folders over AFP, without having to create a new share for each user? Netatalk allows this to be performed with a simple line in AppleVolumes

Code:
#Share Home Folders
~

#Share Other Folders
"/mnt/home/pub" "pub"

I've tried mounting the root filesystem as rw, editing the file in /usr/local/etc, then restarting the AFP service. The GUI share configurations overwrite the file and my addition of "~" disappears.

Having to share each individual user's home folder would be a frustration. There seems to be support for sharing home folders over CIFS, why not AFP?

Please note that all user folders would be located in /mnt/home, and listed that way via the GUI for each user. I imagine this all just gets written to /etc/passwd, but haven't double checked that.

lschafroth

Dabbler
I am wondering the same thing. I would like a subfolder called 2013, 2014 etc. That is the graduation year for the students. Under 2013 would be all the students graduating that year. I want their profile to map to that shared folder but not be able to see the others. I would hate to have to create a share for every single user instead of building a nice file structure and assigning permissions that way.

lschafroth

Dabbler
Due to the lack of stability, no support and no functionality I moved to a Synology NAS and dumped FreeNAS. wasnt even good enough to use in testing let alone production.

Status
Not open for further replies.