Cheapest PCIe to NVMe adapter for Multi-Report project

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't really like creating posts asking for help as I normally can search the hell out of the internet and locate an answer but this is a unique set of circumstances.

What I'm after: A really cheap (cost) for a PCIe to NVMe adapter. It only needs to hold a single NVMe. It does not need to be super fast. The entire adapter needs to have the ability to be passed through ESXi 7.x and into my TrueNAS VM (my main server).

Why? : I have a project called Multi-Report and I find myself asking others to help me test out NVMe changes. I would like to negate this aspect and do everything in house. I'm not doing this to bolster my TrueNAS machine, it is purely for development of the script. I plan to purchase a small NVMe as well but those are easy to select from. I will buy a cheap one that many other would purchase for home systems, not the expensive high end NVMe's available. I will likely not purchase a PCIe 4.0 NVMe due to heat concerns.

Again, because this is just for my little project, it's not something I make money at (I wish), I would like to keep the costs to an absolute minimum.

And why ESXi? Because I like it, and it's free and most importantly it works. I switch between Core and Scale very frequently, sometimes several times a day to test the script and if I used a true boot drive, that would be too much of a pain for me.

Here is one example of a cheap adapter: https://www.amazon.com/M-2-Adapter-Aluminum-Heatsink-Solution/dp/B07JJTVGZM
It appears to be rated well. I almost pulled the trigger but thought I would ask the forum for some friendly advice.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions.

Etorix

Wizard
Wow, you actually picked an luxury one, complete with a metal bracket! Here's what the cheap version looks like (black version available as well; the PCB is pre-cut to be broken down to x4 if the slot is not open and shorter than x16):
Very easy to swap in or out, with no further hassle than powering off and opening the server. No issue with compatibility or passthrough with ESXi or anything: It's just traces between two connectors.

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is a very inexpensive adapter :smile:, I will have to see what Ebay can do for me.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Well I found a cheap adapter and NVMe. I did spend $11 USD for the PCIe adapter because I like having the mounting bracket and there were a lot of positive reviews. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09JM5FVC7

And the NVMe is an HP model which cost me $40 USD. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CG6C93H

Total: 51 USD, free next day shipping.

I installed the set in the ESXi home server and powered it up. The new device was ready to share with my TrueNAS VM. It seems to be working good. With one exception, I broke Multi-Report again. The SMART data reported is not all the same as everything else, of course. Now I'm curious if smartmontools 7.4 would fix this issue or more likely a script change. Time to make a copy of the TrueNAS VM and see if I can put 7.4 on the TrueNAS drive. It almost sounds easy until something catastrophic happens.

EDIT: The script works fine. I had to delete the simulated ESXi NVMe drive, then all worked well.

Last edited:

MrGuvernment

Patron
Incase anyone else wanted other options,

I got 3 of these and they work great (1 in use in my TrueNAS Core system for boot drive)

joeschmuck

Old Man
I had this in my shopping list and it does have very good reviews, then found the one I purchased.

dak180

Patron
The SMART data reported is not all the same as everything else, of course. Now I'm curious if smartmontools 7.4 would fix this issue or more likely a script change. Time to make a copy of the TrueNAS VM and see if I can put 7.4 on the TrueNAS drive. It almost sounds easy until something catastrophic happens.

EDIT: The script works fine. I had to delete the simulated ESXi NVMe drive, then all worked well.
If you want to take a look at how it it is handled in FreeNAS-Report it starts here. Also if you manage to get 7.4 setup with a range of types of drive (especially sas) I would be very interested in a dump file from that.

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you want to take a look at how it it is handled in FreeNAS-Report it starts here. Also if you manage to get 7.4 setup with a range of types of drive (especially sas) I would be very interested in a dump file from that.
I will let you know if I have success. I don't think it will be difficult but I've said that before and it was never easy.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@dak180 Done! I think I have it worked out and I will send you a PM with the details on how to install smartctl, smartd, and the current drivedb.h onto TrueNAS CORE. I have not build for SCALE yet, maybe tomorrow.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sorry, and the dump file.

EDIT: SCALE done as well. @dak180, you have everything in a PM.

Attachments

• NVM_nvme0_HBSE43211100274_json.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited: