Changed ISP, have new IP, apps not running

Jakev90

Cadet
So, as the title says, I recently moved from Comcast to At&t Fiber. So my IP has gone from 192.168 to 10.0. How can I update the IP the apps run at? The only thing I can think of is to reinstall the apps, but would like to avoid it if possible. Thanks in advance for the help!

mb323

Cadet
Ran into same issue this morning, added a new router behind AT&T BMG320 and enabled passthrough. New router changed subnets.

I had to update network settings in two different places, under Network / Global Configuration and Apps / Settings / Advanced Settings. On Advanced Settings I also checked Force. Additionally, not sure if this helped anything, but on Apps, selected Choose Pool and selected the "apps" pool I was already using. Rebooted and everything started coming back up slowly.

I'm now in the aftermath of changing all of my references, thankfully all my apps are back up and running.

Jakev90

Cadet
Ran into same issue this morning, added a new router behind AT&T BMG320 and enabled passthrough. New router changed subnets.

I had to update network settings in two different places, under Network / Global Configuration and Apps / Settings / Advanced Settings. On Advanced Settings I also checked Force. Additionally, not sure if this helped anything, but on Apps, selected Choose Pool and selected the "apps" pool I was already using. Rebooted and everything started coming back up slowly.

I'm now in the aftermath of changing all of my references, thankfully all my apps are back up and running.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to give that a shot when I get a minute.

Jakev90

Cadet

Thanks again for the advice! I finally got everything back up and running.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Good info, but wouldn't it be simpler to just adjust the DHCP range on the router? Or, if that isn't possible, chuck it and get one that isn't brain-damaged?

PhilD13

Patron
There is nothing wrong with 10.0.x.x address. Lots of business use the 10.0 addresses instead of 192.168.x.x addresses and some commercial equipment have a 10 network as the default. Just change the addresses.

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is nothing wrong with 10.0.x.x address.
No, not at all. But if you already have a lot of stuff using, say, 192.168.42.x, a new router shouldn't force you to change any of that--just change the DHCP range in that router. And if it won't let you do that, it's brain-damaged and should be replaced in any event.

PhilD13

Patron
No, not at all. But if you already have a lot of stuff using, say, 192.168.42.x, a new router shouldn't force you to change any of that--just change the DHCP range in that router. And if it won't let you do that, it's brain-damaged and should be replaced in any event.
It's a fiber router setup by AT&T and may not allow a different address range. I get stuff in from vendors all the time that I have to change to our address range. Our policy is nothing can be on 198.

danb35

Hall of Famer
and may not allow a different address range.
If that's the case, it's brain-damaged and needs to be replaced with one that isn't.
I get stuff in from vendors all the time that I have to change to our address range.
Exactly right--which is why this thread (and many like it, including at least one in the "similar threads" below). "I changed ISPs and now need to change my LAN"--no, just appropriately configure your router and you're done. If the equipment they're renting you won't let you do that, make them give you better equipment, provide your own equipment (likely the most economical solution in the long term), have them set their equipment to bridge mode and put your own router behind it (which is what I do), etc.

There's nothing inherently better or worse about any of the RFC1918 private network ranges--but for an ISP to assert control over my LAN is unacceptable.

mb323

Cadet
Good info, but wouldn't it be simpler to just adjust the DHCP range on the router? Or, if that isn't possible, chuck it and get one that isn't brain-damaged?
It wasn't possible at the time, the upstream AT&T device was occupying the original DHCP range. It was just easier to re IP. You would think that with the TrueNAS Scale set to DHCP it would also update the default gateway address.

mb323

Cadet
The issue was not how to configure a router, the issue was that the NAS was not able to handle a gateway change. I chose to add my own router, re-IP my network and put the AT&T router in passthrough mode. I didn't see the point of reconfiguring my network for a single device, better to fix the NAS then have to revert back to the AT&T default settings. Had I decided to re-IP my network using the AT&T router the NAS would have still been a problem. Incidentally it was the only device on my network not able to update automatically.

In this case it's not the AT&T router preventing us form updating our networks, it was TrueNAS and for me that was resolved by manually updating the TrueNAS gateway address in two locations as described above.

For the OP, and anyone else who may need to change their network settings, AT&T puts the admin password on a sticker attached to the router.

PhilD13

Patron
I have always used my own router with whatever isp (be it COX, AT&T, Wireless, Cellular, etc.) I'm using at the time feeding my router. That way it does not matter what ip I get from the isp. I control the ip range for my local network(s) and also control the gateway.