Multiple Apps using same IP

Spunky17

Cadet
Okay, here goes. I'm considering migrating from CORE to SCALE cause I'm tired of the plugin system on CORE messing up my Nextcloud install. I had it installed in a jail and found it tough to maintain and keep up to date so switched to a plugin thinking it would be easier (boy was I wrong). Anyway, hopping that the Apps under SCALE will fair better. I'm pretty fluent in Linux, jails and such but Docker and Kubernetes is something I'm still learning.

Today under CORE I have 3 jails running; downloaders, searchers and plex. In my downloaders jail I have transmission and sabnzbd running with an OpenVPN connection for safety. Under searchers I have radarr, sonarr, lidarr, headphones and lazylibrarian running. The plex jail is pretty obvious.

In exploring with my SCALE test machine I've been messing around with installing the corresponding apps and migrating my settings over in order to get the feel on how to tackle the real migration. What I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to duplicate my setup above? I've figured out how to get MetalLB installed so that each app can get it's own unique IP but I can't figure out if there is a way to combine them so that I don't need a dedicated IP for each one. This would also help cut down on my needed VPN connections (one for the downloader jail instead of two, one for each of the apps).

Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestions.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I can't figure out if there is a way to combine them so that I don't need a dedicated IP for each one.
That's pretty much the default configuration with SCALE--each app listens on its own port(s) on whatever the host's IP address is.

Spunky17

Cadet
I was afraid of that. Ugh....

That just makes it so difficult especially since it seems that OpenVPN is depricated (really!?!?!?) and my provider isn't supported by Gluetun. I can use Gluetun but have to convert all my ovpn files to use IPs instead of DNS names (really, so much for dynamic updates or changes).

Starting to think this cake is not really baked yet. :rolleyes:

sfatula

Guru
It's the default but not the only option. I have several docker containers, like Emby and Nextcloud, that use their own IP on Scale.