Separate IP for containers

Computer8080

Cadet
I'm planning on migrating from TrueNAS Core to SCALE and I'm testing things first in a VM. I know I'll have to recreate all apps since they don't transfer but I found a problem. On Core, like many people I had a separate IP address for each jail. I would like to keep the same IP addresses on SCALE but I don't see a way to do so. I googled it and saw some posts on the forum that are either unanswered or offered a workaround CLI option. Is there an "official" ie. GUI option of doing this in Bluefin and if not, are there any plans of adding this in the future?

Seed

Dabbler
I would personally avoid doing anything with Truenas' implementation of their container service. It's integrated with their "apps" and for me, that's a red flag for a big ol' mess. Run your own kube vm and run your own setup there. This move by TrueNAS to me is morphing their product to an application appliance over just a NAS and is asking for trouble if you work on your own stuff in their environment. This way you'll be more neutral and can port to any environment you may move to in the future.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I would personally avoid doing anything with Truenas' implementation of their container service. It's integrated with their "apps" and for me, that's a red flag for a big ol' mess. Run your own kube vm and run your own setup there. This move by TrueNAS to me is morphing their product to an application appliance over just a NAS and is asking for trouble if you work on your own stuff in their environment. This way you'll be more neutral and can port to any environment you may move to in the future.
While I agree that this is a good solution for more experienced users, the goal is that TrueNAS Apps will be the simpler and more reliable solution for those that don't have K8s expertise and ability to test software updates on separate systems. TrueNAS should enable single click updates of Kubernetes, OpenZFS, Samba and Linux as a combined pre-tested package. (TrueNAS does not yet meet that standard reliably, but it's heading that way). The alternative can be quite complex and will not perform as well (kube VM access to storage is more complex and slower).