• Currently using VMware at work? We want to hear from you.

Thinking of making a switch from VMware? We'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback about which hypervisor you have been researching or already using. Click here to vote and share your thoughts! You can vote HERE!

Change default route/gateway from shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Hello people,
I need to configure FreeNAS from my personal house LAN and then export it to my work office (with another network).
I can change the IP from root shell using the classic ifconfig:
# ifconfig em0 10.97.2.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Now I need to configure the default route/gateway, but the follwoing command (I used in linux tons of times) doesn't work:

route add default 192.168.1.254 or route add default gw 192.168.1.254

I received as error:
Route bad address default or gw

Could someone help me to setup a default route/gateway? Thanks!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Lucas,

Why not just switch it to DHCP and then change the IP back to a static when it gets moved?

You should also be able to change the networking from the console once it's at the new location.

-Will

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Ciao survive,
unfortunately I don't have DHCP on my work office, so I have to setup manually the network interface.

But I just thinking that if I setup the IP from shell (with the mentioned method) maybe I can access the Web Gui and then setup the default GW from there!!!
Btw, just in case, I would like to know how setup the def GW from shell! ;)

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Lucas,

I think there's an entry in the console screen menu that will let you change it the "correct" way. You want to do everything through FreeNAS-aware tools so the config database gets updated correctly.

-Will

Status
Not open for further replies.