Case suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

warllo

Contributor
Hi all,

I recently completed a proof of concept build of a FreeNas box in a standard atx case. I would like to move it to a rack mount case.

I am looking for a case that has the following items:

8 or more LFF hot-swap bays
2 internal drive bays
2u or 4u would be prefered, noise isn't really a factor
Will fit a full sized standard atx motherboard
Can be used or new, preferably used

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

Inxsible

Guru
Supermicro 2U/3U/4U -- take your pick !

CSE826 have a 2.5" hot-swap cage available for your SSDs. or if you don't want hot-swap for the SSDs, there are other internal cages available as well. These cages also fit some of the 3U/4U chassis.

Dice

Wizard
If you go the SM route, pay close attention to what backplane it comes with.
Google to assure compatibility with size and type of controller used.
(Most notably - avoid the ones that cap out at 2TB drives, and look for SAS2 or SAS3 controller preferrably with expander).

Inxsible

Guru
IMO, the A-backplane is best because it's a pass-through like the TQ backplane, but you can use SAS connectors thereby decreasing the cable-nest that often occurs with TQ backplanes because of so many SATA cables (breakout) running from the HBA to the backplane. Unfortunately, I have found it quite difficult to find chassis on ebay with the A-backplane. TQs are dime a dozen.

SAS2 backplanes will obviously limit you to SAS2 only. SAS3 backplanes are currently very expensive.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

sretalla