SOLVED Can't watch most videos from FreeNAS Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
Hello everyone. I have a test setup of a freenas box. It has 8GB RAM and a single 80GB drive. When copying and writing files my connection to the box is around 10-20 MB/s, plenty to watch what I have. Some videos on my share load up perfectly fine and work almost like native videos. Some videos take over a minute to load but then work just fine. Other videos just don't load and I'm not sure why this is an issue.

Note: that all the videos I'm testing have a total bit rate of < 3MB/s so they should easily work on my connection. I also don't think it's a CPU issue because they aren't doing any transcoding, just delivering the file. My entire volume is only 80GB so 8GB of RAM should also be plenty.

I checked the reporting TAB on FreeNAS. When I transfer files it spikes up because of the network traffic, but when attempting to watch a video that doesn't work it is stuck at 0 Mb/s. This happens with most videos but some work just fine. All work when I'm watching from the computer's own drive.

I'm trying to view on a Windows computer from this SMB share and have proper permissions.
Any advice? thanks

EDIT/UPDATE: I figured out its a VLC problem. I tried on another computer with Win 10 default player and it worked. I also tried with MPC and it worked just fine. First time VLC has failed me :(

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Note: that all the videos I'm testing have a total bit rate of < 3MB/s so they should easily work on my connection.
It's not that easy.
EDIT/UPDATE: I figured out its a VLC problem. I tried on another computer with Win 10 default player and it worked. I also tried with MPC and it worked just fine. First time VLC has failed me :(
I'm sure there's some way to configure VLC to behave better with network shares, but its default configuration is not very good for streaming from network shares.

Gilt Brick

Dabbler
It's not that easy.

I'm sure there's some way to configure VLC to behave better with network shares, but its default configuration is not very good for streaming from network shares.
I'm not sure where to start but i'll update this if I find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.