can't see volume after install freenas on esxi 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fddsds

Cadet
hello,
i installed freenas v.8.0 on my esxi 5.1.
ater that i login and i see that i can't see any volume . i try to craete volume but i can't see any disk.
please help me.

zambanini

Patron
no. read the documentation. read the FAQ. read the sticky posts.
when you did that, you should know what other thing you should provide.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Is there some reason you thought you should see the disks after installing on esxi? What disks do you think you should see? Do you have vt-d or pass through controllers configured?

So much information missing from your post it's ridiculous....

fddsds

Cadet
Is there some reason you thought you should see the disks after installing on esxi? What disks do you think you should see? Do you have vt-d or pass through controllers configured?

So much information missing from your post it's ridiculous....

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
i'm new ot this.what i missed ?
Everything.....

First of all, 8.0 is old as shit. Don't use it.

Secondly, follow the forum rules when posting a thread.

Thirdly, based on your post, you are not a candidate that should be trying to virtualize your Freenas.... Read the stickies to find out more info.

fddsds

Cadet
i dom not understand you.
i need a simple guide (Step by step) how to install freenas as vm on esxi server.
Its Not Complicated.

gpsguy

If it's not complicated, how come you can't do it?

Seriously, as pirateghost said, based on what you've said so far, don't virtualize FreeNAS. It's not recommended for a number of reasons. Search the forum to find out why.

If I had to guess, less that 5% of our user base, could install/run FreeNAS on ESXi correctly. Others have tried, skipped corners, and lost their data.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
i need a simple guide (Step by step) how to install freenas as vm on esxi server.
Its Not Complicated.

No, you need to give up on that idea as you clearly have no idea what you're getting yourself into and are not qualified to run such a system.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Its Not Complicated.
If you need a guide, then you shouldn't do it because you don't know what you're doing. We have stickies in the forums explaining the intricacies of such a setup and why you shouldn't attempt it unless you know what you are doing.

Just stop now and go read the forum threads regarding virtualization...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yet another example...

fddsds

Cadet
on physical machine that will work ?
Anyway I am looking for a free solution for free storage.
Who competitor of freenas ?

gpsguy

Yes, running on a physical machine is the way to go,

Therw are numerous competitors, both free and $$$.

Sent from my phone

fddsds

Cadet
Name one of the free software I can install it As a virtual machine Without Problem.
Thanks.
ne

neo_

Dabbler
Above all, I can't comprehend why you decided to install FreeNAS 8.0 - a legacy version.

Name one of the free software I can install it As a virtual machine Without Problem.
Thanks.
ne

This is a FreeNAS forum...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What do you want, exactly? Advice regarding other OSes? If so, ask the people who can actually say something informed about them (i.e., their forums).

gpsguy

Since you want to virtualize your storage on ESXi, the VMware forums would be a better place to pose your questions. Visit them at: https://communities.vmware.com/welcome

As neo_ said, this is a FreeNAS forum.

As for who our competitors are - that's a question for iXsystems (FreeNAS developers). While they may occassionally visit the forum, those of us answering questions on the forum are just (unpaid) volunteers.

Status
Not open for further replies.