Cant run VM - get error [0.000562] Error ident-mapping new memmap (0x7e5c0000)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using 11.1 U5 on a Xeon W3680 system with 16 gigs of ram. I have created the VM and have tried to install Ubuntu 16.04.4 Server. When starting the VM I get the install Ubuntu Server menu.
I hit enter and the error message flashes for a tenth of a second and I lose connection to the vm web access. [0.000562] Error ident-mapping new memmap (0x7e5c0000)

I tried 11.2 today and the vm failed to refresh the screen, acting like they were frozen. So I went back to 11.1 to try to solve this problem.

Does anyone have any fixes?

Thanks
Dwight

The VM settings are 2 virtual CPUS, 2048 mb ram, UEFI boot , 30 gib drive in AHCI mode.

Hardware is a Xeon 3680 CPU on a INTEL motherboard with 16 gb ram.

Dwight

KrisBee

Wizard
@Dwight Choosing virtio for NIC and disk will give you better performance. Googling for that message would tell you it relates to ubuntu booting under EFI. In my test, a message flashes past but I don't loss the web VNC connection and the next screen is the "choose language" screen of the text installer. It makes no difference if the "wait to boot" box is ticked or not in the VNC device. Try using another VNC client to connect to your VM during the install and use virtio for disk and nic.

Thanks for the reply. Still same problem with nic and disk set to virtio. The error message is so fast that I had to record a video of the screen and play it back slowly to read it. I have also used two different VNC clients to connect to the VM.

Dwight

KrisBee

Wizard
Thanks for the reply. Still same problem with nic and disk set to virtio. The error message is so fast that I had to record a video of the screen and play it back slowly to read it. I have also used two different VNC clients to connect to the VM.

Dwight

Bad iso? Not sure what else to suggest, as I've not come across this particular problem myself. I assume you have space on your pool.

It may be a bad iso. I am now attempting to install Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop. It has not disconnected the VNC and I am at the Ubuntu blinking red dots screen. If this works I will move back to Ubuntu 14.05 Server and see if it works.

Desktop 18.04 would not load. Sat at the blinking red dot screen for over an hour. Install of Ubuntu Server 14.05 seems to be working .

After install of Ubuntu Server 14.05 I get a "Boot failed. EFI Misc Device" message and then go to a UEFI Interactive Shell v2.1 screen.

What is that?

Thanks
Dwight

KrisBee

Wizard
@dwight_talley bhyve doesn't work with linux kernel in Ubuntu 18.04 ( not fixed in FreeNAS until 11.2)

14.05 drops to UEFI Interactive Shell as bhyve doesn't find bootx64.efi file in default location. See this: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/howto-how-to-boot-linux-vms-using-uefi.54039/

But don't try a manual fix. Instead once you've booted the VM after negotiating the boot manager menus, as root at the CLI in the VM use this command:

grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --boot-directory=/boot --removable

Otherwise, I'd re-try Ubuntu 16.04.4 with a new iso as this shouldn't need a post-install fix to the EFI setup.

Ok. Thanks to your link and instructions, I was able to create the /efi/boot directory and copy the bootx64.efi to it and the system reboots correctly now.

I could never get Ubuntu 16.04.4 to run on my system. Nothing above 14.05 works.

I tried 11.2 and it did not work for another reason, no refresh on the vnc window, as others have reported.

Now to see if I can upgrade 14 to 16.04.4.

Thanks
Dwight

Status
Not open for further replies.