Can't get Zoneminder GUI to load

rknaub

Explorer
Installed on FreeNAS 11.2 this evening as a plugin, and I cannot get the GUI to load. I have installed it before, but was going to try harder at actually getting it to work with my cameras. I can ping the jail but the web page won't load. I'm curious if something got messed up somehow from the previous install, and when I deleted the jail last time, it didn't delete everything. How can I go about cleaning it completely off my system and trying for a fresh install?

kypdurron5

Dabbler
Yes! Same problem here! I was looking into new IP cameras and had the idea to see if Freenas offers a plugin for video surveillance management. Every single plugin I've ever installed has booted up no problem. Installed this one yesterday and the "management" web GUI fails to load- just a "Page not Found" error. No issues with Plex and others.

In terms of my current install it's virtually clean. I started from scratch a few months back with a fresh system disk image. I haven't messed with tuneables or done anything crazy. I have a few VM's, and at the moment only Plex for plugins. It should work like the day Freenas 11.2 was born, if it was going to work that is.....

rknaub

Explorer
I deleted the plugin last night, rebooted the machine, then reinstalled the plugin and it was working fine.

kypdurron5

Dabbler
I just did a fresh Freenas 11.2 install, loaded my config, installed the plugin and same issue. Changed from DHCP to static IP just in case, same issue. "This site can't be reached."

I don't feel like I can really report a bug because I have no debugging info to report. Can anyone give me some idea where to start looking for logs or console outputs related to zoneminder and/or the jail? One or more services must be encountering errors I just don't see it. Nginx starts fine, the jail starts fine, the plugin shows as running. The web GUI just appears to be a dead site; it's not the issue above because it won't load at all.

kypdurron5

Dabbler
Update: on a hunch I attempted to access Zoneminder from within a VM on the Freenas system. It worked! I just can't access it from any other computer on the network. So it's a network access issue. I don't have any firewalls setup or special routes, and as I said, I have no problem accessing the Plex web GUI and Freenas itself from any device on the network. Ideas?

kypdurron5

Dabbler
I have confirmed from within the zoneminder jail I can ping: Freenas, my router, other jails. From within other jails I can ping the zoneminder jail. Along these lines, connecting to the network via VPN (which is a jail) I can connect to zoneminder. What I cannot ping: any network connected IP that doesn't reside on Freenas, and I cannot ping to the zoneminder jail from any IP that doesn't reside on Freenas. I haven't changed anything about the zoneminder plugin install or network setting, and other plugins work fine. Is this a bug perhaps? Even if so, any suggestions to open up the zoneminder jail (and by extension the web GUI) to other devices on the network would be appreciated!

kypdurron5

Dabbler
Were you able to resolve this?
More thorough testing over the past few days has revealed it seems to be a personal problem :oops:. I realized I actually can connect via iOS most of the time. I got really into plugins and realized I can access every single one from my PC except one that uses port 8080. I changed the port for that plugin and it started working. Changed the port for Zoneminder (by combing through config files) and.....still doesn't work.

As this is true from the same computer under both Ubuntu and Windows, I'm guessing the problem lies somewhere in my cascaded router setup. Still, it doesn't make sense to me. Why can I access the Freenas GUI and other port 80, 8080, and 443 sites on my LAN but just not Zoneminder alone?!

kypdurron5

Dabbler
And....solved. On my cascaded router I had the firewall setting off, but the NAT setting was active. This was obviously interfering with the primary router. :rolleyes: