Can't get my head around jail and plugin networking.

TomWaller

Dabbler
Hey all.

I have a TrueNAS server with 4 gigabit NICs in a lagg (lagg0). I use LACP, untagged trunk for native VLAN. This works. I also have two additional VLANs, 20 and 50. They are tagged and configured on the switch.

I've configured the interfaces in TrueNAS like this:

Physical ports -> lagg0 -> vlan -> bridge.

I've assigned static IPs to the bridges, not the VLANs, as I've read that's the correct way to do this in BSD. Outside of plugins, it seems to work fine. I can ping the interface addresses and I can see when I was testing I could get DHCP addresses from the correct VLAN.

The problem I have is I'd like to use the interface address for my plugins. For instance, bridge20 (the bridge belonging to VLAN 20, with a static IP of 10.20.3.1) I'd like to use the IP as the IP for Plex (and ultimately others later on). I can't see a way to do this. I've tried editing the jail properties and under network properties specifying vnet0:bridge20 but I just can't get it to use the address.

If I stick the jail on DHCP, it works fine with an address from my DHCP pool. I (maybe wrongly) assumed I could use a single interface IP for many jails.
Any tips? Or am I going about this all wrong?

sretalla