Can't Create Pools

Jason Giddens

Dabbler
Hey All,

I have installed Truenas Core 12.0 onto a Dell R720. I have crossflashed the h710P mini RAID controller to IT mode and it appears to be working. I have 2x200GB SSD drives set up as one pool for high speed VM access. I am now trying to setup my 4x4TB spinning drive pool as 2x mirrored vdevs. Whenever I try to do so I get an error:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 367, in run await self.future File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 403, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 973, in nf return await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 670, in do_create formatted_disks = await self.middleware.call('pool.format_disks', job, disks) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1248, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1205, in _call return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 56, in format_disks await asyncio_map(format_disk, disks.items(), limit=16) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 16, in asyncio_map return await asyncio.gather(*futures) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 13, in func return await real_func(arg) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 29, in format_disk await self.middleware.call( File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1248, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1216, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1120, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/io_thread_pool_executor.py", line 25, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/disk_/format.py", line 25, in format raise CallError(f'Failed to wipe disk {disk}: {job.error}') middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk da0: [EFAULT] Command gpart create -s gpt /dev/da0 failed (code 1): gpart: Input/output error

On the console display I see a bunch of SCSI errors

CAM status: SCSI Status Error
SCSI Status: Check Condition
SCSI sense: ABORTED COMMAND asc:81,0 (LA Check Failed)
Info: 0x1
Command Specific Info: 0x1
Descriptor 0xc0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Error 5, retries exhausted

I have search for "LA Check Failed" and the various error codes to no avail.

I can use some help here, suggestions?

NugentS

MVP
How is everything connected?

Jason Giddens

Dabbler
The boot drive is a nvme stick on a USB adapter. Everything else is connected to the Dell h710 raid card that I have flashed into hba/it mode.

NugentS

MVP
Cable issue?
H710 is not plugged in properly
H710 knackered or drive / drives knackered - can you test the drives elsewhere - does the mobo have any SATA ports of its own?

No idea - just guessing

Jason Giddens

Dabbler
I have other drives working well on the same SAS backplane and raid card so I dont think its those. I dont have another rig that supports SAS so i am going to see what options I have to evaluate the drives on a windows boot or something.

NugentS

MVP
You could swap some of the drives around to see if its one of the SAS cables - or are your working drives across multiple cables. Its ZFS on an HBA so it doesn't care where they are plugged in

SmilinJoe

Cadet
I am having the same issue, adding some visibility. Bought some used disks that were formatted 520b. I successfully re-formatted them, but getting this error on all 6 drives (ST6000NM0034). If I throw some older 2TB drives in there, I can create a pool just fine. Could this be a firmware issue?

SmilinJoe

Cadet
I had issues with sg_format failing (which could have been another issue), so went with the camcontrol method outlined here: http://www.davidrusseltrask.com/blog/category/Homelab. To muddy the waters, I think some of them are formatted with sg_format, but I used the --ffmt=1 flag.

If you are saying your sg_format command is the way to go, I will kick them all off formatting again. With it taking so long, I want to know what I am doing this time :)

Thanks.

brymck

Cadet
I had issues with sg_format failing (which could have been another issue), so went with the camcontrol method outlined here: http://www.davidrusseltrask.com/blog/category/Homelab. To muddy the waters, I think some of them are formatted with sg_format, but I used the --ffmt=1 flag.

If you are saying your sg_format command is the way to go, I will kick them all off formatting again. With it taking so long, I want to know what I am doing this time :)

Thanks.
Did you ever get this sorted? I have the same issue with the same disks. I wound up creating the pool manually in SCALE, disconnected it, imported it via the GUI and it looked like it was working okay...but now I'm getting all disks degraded/faulted due to too many errors after copying about 2TB of data to it.

The same drives performed just fine in Core for years with no peep of error from SMART/scrubs, so I am at a loss. I wanted to use SCALE for KVM as it's what I'm familiar with, but feel like I'm going to wind up going back to Core instead until I get this sorted.

Also, I've tried looking for firmware updates for the drives, Seagate doesn't have any available, IBM won't update them either even with an IBM raid card attached.