Can't create pool, fresh install

bureau13

Dabbler
So I have TrueNAS Core 13 installed and running on:

Asus P6X58e-Pro w/ Intel I7-960 and 12G RAM
6 WD Red Plus 3TB brand new drives
Booting from mirrored USB SanDisk drives

Everything seems good, so I go to create my first pool. It recommends raidz2, which is what I want, so I click create, then confirm it will erase disks, then:

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/ada0'

(ada0 is one of my drives)

I tried removing all the other drives and just creating a single disk pool, same error. I remove that drive from the list and try any of the other ones: Same error. These are never-used drives, so I'm feeling like maybe I should have done something to format them, but that doesn't seem necessary from the documentation.

Any ideas?

If it helps, here is the full output log from trying to create the pool:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 391, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 975, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool.py", line 677, in do_create
await self.middleware.call('pool.format_disks', job, disks)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1305, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1262, in _call
return await methodobj(*prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 28, in format_disks
await asyncio_map(format_disk, disks.items(), limit=16)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 16, in asyncio_map
return await asyncio.gather(*futures)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/utils/asyncio_.py", line 13, in func
return await real_func(arg)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/pool_/format_disks.py", line 24, in format_disk
await self.middleware.call('disk.format', disk, swapgb if config['create_swap'] else 0, False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1305, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1273, in _call
return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1166, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/disk_/format.py", line 11, in format
size = get_size_with_name(disk)
File "bsd/disk.pyx", line 37, in bsd.disk.get_size_with_name
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/ada0'

bureau13

Dabbler
Hmmm...if I do a SMART Short Test on each of the six drives, it passes on drives ada2-5, but can't run on ada0-1. Also, from the shell, ls /dev/ada0 (or1) says no directory found, the other drives all return the drive name. Something is up with those two drives, or more likely with the controller I would guess, or something in the chain there.

My board has a Marvell controller, which is not something you want for TrueNAS. However, I THOUGHT the Marvell controller was for the two SATAIII ports, and the six SATA2 ports were run from the Intel chipset. I have the six drives connected to the SATA2 ports (I know, not ideal, but I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference, speedwise) or at least I thought I did...

bureau13

Dabbler
Well I messed around with connections and swapped some drives around and suddenly I can ls /dev/adax and they all respond. I can even run short and long SMART tests and they all pass. However when I try to create a raidz2 pool, it starts, and then very quickly gives me this:

[EFAULT] Failed to wipe disk ada1: [Errno 5] Input/output error

(*sigh*)
I don't know if this is indicative of sketchy connections, or just a controller that sucks for TrueNAS...

bureau13

Dabbler
Wiggled some cables around a bit and now I've created a pool :rolleyes:. This seems not great for reliable data storage...time to go buy some new SATA cables....