Can't copy read only files to TrueNAS

tony95

Contributor
I am trying to move my windows shares to TrueNAS via SMB share but some of the files are read only and the copy fails with permission denied. I used the restricted preset and my group and user are both set to Full Control. Sure I can remove the read only flag and copy them but I know if I have copies that fail just because a file is set to read only then this means some people using the share are going to complain about the error or worse they are not going to have their files backed up and will risk losing their data. If I can't resolve this then I will have to go back to Windows Server for the shares. Can anyone offer a solution?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
the copy fails with permission denied
How exactly are you doing that... it's probably an issue with the method, not the share.

tony95

Contributor
How exactly are you doing that... it's probably an issue with the method, not the share.
I doubt it. All the other files copy fine. I am just copying from the windows share to the TrueNAS share. Even if I copy to my local hard drive and try to copy to the TrueNAS share it gives me the same error "you need permission to perform this action".

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'll ask the question again...

try to copy to the TrueNAS share it gives me the same error "you need permission to perform this action"
Exactly what are you doing when you say "copy"?

tony95

Contributor
I just tested it with my home TrueNAS server and it works fine.

tony95

Contributor
I'll ask the question again...

Exactly what are you doing when you say "copy"?
Not sure what you are asking then. Right click copy then right click paste? Drag drop from my hard drive to the SMB share on TrueNAS, same difference I believe?

"Read-only" files that are saved locally on your Windows drive cannot be copied to the SMB network share? Yet they can be copied to another local folder on the Windows drive?

What about trying to copy said files to a different external drive?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
"Read-only" files that are saved locally on your Windows drive cannot be copied to the SMB network share? Yet they can be copied to another local folder on the Windows drive?

There was a bug regarding copies of local readonly files (DOS bit) that had alternate data streams present. Scheduled to be fixed in 13.1 / 23.10.2 / 24.04-RC1.

Is it possible to bypass this in the meantime if you disable Alternate Data Streams in the SMB share's configuration?

tony95

Contributor

Yes, they can be copied anywhere but the TrueNAS share. It is very strange. I can mark another file on my PC read only and copy it to the TrueNAS share no problem. But the files on the old Windows Share that were read only won't copy until I remove the read only flag. So I have a png that already exists on my PC and if I mark it read only it copies to the TrueNAS share without a problem, but the file that was previously on the old Windows Share won't copy to TrueNAS until I remove the read only flag. This is bizarre because looking at the security permissions and owner on the two file they appear to be identical.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes, they can be copied anywhere but the TrueNAS share. It is very strange. I can mark another file on my PC read only and copy it to the TrueNAS share no problem. But the files on the old Windows Share that were read only won't copy until I remove the read only flag. So I have a png that already exists on my PC and if I mark it read only it copies to the TrueNAS share without a problem, but the file that was previously on the old Windows Share won't copy to TrueNAS until I remove the read only flag. This is bizarre because looking at the security permissions and owner on the two file they appear to be identical.

It's because of the way that the files are opened. The client requests to
1. open a file
2. set it read-only
3. write data
4. alternate data streams

3. succeeds because we re-use same file open file descriptor.
4 fails in 13.0 (Samba 4.15) because we open new fd (which forces evaluation of readonly bit at that point) and in later versions because of internal ZFS permission check on xattr writes.

tony95

Contributor
Is it possible to bypass this in the meantime if you disable Alternate Data Streams in the SMB share's configuration?
Hmmm, I had to recreate the share to do this. I don't think this is the best way to handle it. These PNG file might be rare cases and most users here probably aren't going to have an issue. I am wondering if they were created on a MAC which would be rare since no computer in the office is a MAC and it would have probably come from outside. Since I can copy a read only file from my own computer then maybe this issue will never come up again.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hmmm, I had to recreate the share to do this. I don't think this is the best way to handle it. These PNG file might be rare cases and most users here probably aren't going to have an issue. I am wondering if they were created on a MAC which would be rare since no computer in the office is a MAC and it would have probably come from outside. Since I can copy a read only file from my own computer then maybe this issue will never come up again.
Typically windows clients will store zone identifier information. MacOS clients can store mac equivalent of that, finder color tags, preview images, etc, etc.

tony95

Contributor
Typically windows clients will store zone identifier information. MacOS clients can store mac equivalent of that, finder color tags, preview images, etc, etc.

I just went to the windows share and removed all the read only flags. If it is not a problem with read only in general then it probably won't affect anyone. Like I said, I can copy read only files that were created on my PC without an issue. I guess we will see over time.

sretalla