SOLVED Can't Connect to my Modded Minecraft Server with ngrok

Hello!

I've been trying to get my server set up for hosting a modded Minecraft server (running in a jail, not MineOS) so that I can get it off my PC so I can actually play games. Problem is, I can't connect to it.

On my PC I was using ngrok for my friends to connect. I originally used this cause the server started while at Uni and I had no way of port-forwarding. It worked great and I haven't used anything else since I've moved back home because I didn't have to keep updating my friends on my public IP. However, using ngrok on my R610 is proving troublesome.

I can verify the Minecraft server is up by connecting to it on my local network, but switching to the ngrok "IP" yields nothing. Weird thing is is that my box immediately refuses to allow a connection. I know this because when I type an arbitrary string into the address bar, my Minecraft client pings for a little bit before saying "Can't Connect to Server." When I type the ngrok IP, it immediately tells me it couldn't connect.

Weirder yet is I'm able to ssh into the server on my Ubuntu VM on my laptop.
Code:
ssh root@0.tcp.ngrok.io -pXXXXX
gets me in just fine.

This leads me to think that there's something fundamental about FreeBSD that I'm missing. Is there a specific directory ngrok needs to be in? Are there some firewall protections that prevent any random port from being open? I'd kind of a newbie to UNIX-like OSs, but the all-mighty Google is not yielding many answers.

Port-forwarding is a bit of a last ditch effort for me for two reasons: 1) I don't want to deal with either updating my friends on my constantly updating public IP or setup a service to keep it the same and 2) I don't have direct access to my router settings and honestly ngrok is much easier.

Any and all help is appreciated! Hopefully people have a little more experience with ngrok than myself. Thanks!

P.S. When trying to connect to the Minecraft Server I have ngrok tcp on port 25565 and when I SSHed into it, I had ngrok tcp on port 22

Please provide some information on your setup, so that somebody can try to reproduce.
  • The exact version of FreeNAS
  • Some information on your jail. iocage? Release? What are the jail networking settings? Shared IP, VNET, DHCP, NAT...? Is the allow_raw_sockets flag checked?

I am using FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1. The jail is as pretty bog standard as it gets. Just doing the autoconfig mostly. If it helps, I followed this tutorial https://devpro.media/minecraft-server-freenas/#preparing-the-jail to a T. I followed everything except initially making the jail, because even though I'm sure I had the right settings when setting up the network manually, when I had to use pkg, it wasn't able to get any updates, so I just ran the autoconfig through the GUI and used DHCP and changed little else. Hopefully this helps with recreating the problem. Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help get this solved

LtHaus

Dabbler
Forgive the Basic questions but are you blocking the MC port? did you change the MC default port? Double check your server.prop file. I have not yet setup my server, but I upgraded to an R510 with 2 proc and 64G of memory so I could support it.

Nah it's ok. Best to check basic things to ensure it's not something basic to begin with! The default port was not changed, but I was able to fix the issue. Twas as simple as checking the allow_raw_sockets box! If I have any other issues I know where to come back to

Redcoat

MVP
use the "..." menu, upper right
I cannot for the life of me find this menu you speak of. Is this in some sub-menu I'm unaware of? I assume it's where I'd edit my original post but I have no clue how to do that either. I'm very new to forums, especially this one

This is all I can see. It seems like the problem in the thread you linked was solved by a moderator. This message will be my fifth so maybe that'll lift some sort of permission block? Let's hope

Attachments

• Capture23.PNG
    Capture23.PNG
    100.1 KB · Views: 425

beast0114

Cadet
Now I have a new setup, and I got this problem again. But now there is no way to solve it the old way.

beast0114

Cadet
Okay guys. I've solved the problem. It may not be the most direct way, but it still solves the problem. My friend advised me to rent a server on ggservers.com. These are good guys who are engaged in hosting minecraft servers. As a result, I took a few months of rent and do not think about any problems at all. Now my friends and I play at any time of the day or night, even if one of them is not ah home. If you want, you can visit our server, we are only happe to meet new people.

mmmreedsy

Cadet
hello! can you help me? did you solve this problem by this steps? because I did the same and problem didn'r solve