Can't access ownCloud outside lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

layoric

Cadet
Installed ownCloud via plugin rep. I can access only on my local lan. The weird thing is that I can access it via the external IP of the router and the ddns, but only on the lan. So, port forwarding is definitely set up correctly. What issue could this be?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I bet this is related to the "trusted_domains" parameters.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Also, for the record, I don't think anyone recommends that you open up an Owncloud to the WAN directly.

Strongly suggest you investigate other methodologies, e.g., a VPN.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
well I have mine open to the interwebz, but realize you're going to get banged on and probably exploited if you don't keep owncloud and php up to date on security patches. and there's no easy way to update php that the plugin uses =[

also you better use HTTPS or your password/traffic can just be sniffed over the network.

layoric

Cadet
I bet this is related to the "trusted_domains" parameters.
Trusted domain parameters seems to mean that I'm supposed to edit the elusive config.php file? If that's true, where is that file??
Also, if it ends up going VPN route, what is the best way to install/set that up?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Trusted domain parameters seems to mean that I'm supposed to edit the elusive config.php file? If that's true, where is that file??
Also, if it ends up going VPN route, what is the best way to install/set that up?
/usr/pbi/owncloud-amd64/www/owncloud/config/

I'd suggest on your router but I believe people also setup VPNs on FreeNAS

layoric

Cadet
Thanks, I got the VPN setup on DD-WRT, works great now and with the added security to boot. Thanks for the assist :)

Status
Not open for further replies.