Cannot share mounted drive

xakepp35

Cadet
I enjoyed that you have such nice gui for freebsd, so i thought I can use it to simplify operation. So i wanted to share my ntfs hard drive via samba protocol.
In terminal I've loaded fuse module with kldload, then i've mounted it to /mnt/wdhdd via ntfs-3g
then i went to Sharing/SMB/Add, provided my volume mount point, and press submit
And i've got an error: "The path must reside within a volume mount point"
BUT IT IS A VOLUME MOUNT POINT!!!

So I guess I've found a bug in GUI. Can you please fix it or explain me how can I fix it? Its very simple operation - to mount a volume and share it over network, why it has such error in a core functionality? Should I do whole process via terminal? What is the point of such GUI then?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-09-13 00-53-37.png
    Screenshot from 2021-09-13 00-53-37.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 153

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Sharing will only be supported on ZFS volumes.. I'd highly discourage using FUSE/NTFS-3g on FreeBSD and trying to share data...

xakepp35

Cadet
I appreciate that you may not like some filesystem and do like only your favorite filesystem, but thats kind of dictatorship. Ability to share a mounted path is not related to a filesystem. I think it is a frontend issue, because smb itself allows to share arbitary path, so its a design mistake. A frontend has kind of artificially limited usability for no reason. I thought I could control samba not by editing config file manually in terminal, but using your convenient and beautiful dashboard. Just let people use whatever they like to use or have to use. Example: I have 1 hard drive in ntfs with terabytes of data, i have no way and desire to copy it back and forth, in order to convert hard drive to zfs. all is required is to mount this hdd and share it over network - basic NAS task, and you dont support it - virtually for no reason - underlying OS can do it easily.

in other point, a regular system should just alert user: "this is unsafe task. would you like to proceed at your own risk? yes/no" but not saying "heil zfs, die all others" I am joking but it really looks like this =)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Perhaps you've misunderstood what FreeNAS/TrueNAS is.

It is an appliance, designed to build a ZFS pool and do a bunch of cool ZFS tricks with that, such as snapshots.

It is not intended as a GUI for doing whatever random filesharing tasks come to your imagination. You can do that with plain old FreeBSD or Linux just fine. TrueNAS has tight integration with ZFS in order to provide a complete and well-integrated user interface experience.

It's sorta like how you can't log into an iPhone or an Android Phone with SSH, even though these things are running a UNIX-like operating system underneath. Just because the underlying bits on the OS might imply a capability, doesn't guarantee that it will be exposed to you in a manner you desire.

Additionally, the FreeBSD NTFS bits are ... um ... somewhat dodgy, at least in my opinion, and using them as part of a fileserver stack is likely to shake out additional bugs and glitches.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I think it is a frontend issue, because smb itself allows to share arbitary path, so its a design mistake
Not really. Part of designing an appliance is to limit scope of what's supported so that development time can be focused on what's important to end-users and customers. Any feature you intentionally expose is going to increase the amount of time spent in dev, writing tests, fixing bugs, etc.

There are definitely also some features that exist in the open source world that are implemented in a way to be "nailed-it!" meme-worthy.