Cannot mount ZFS pool due to "insufficient replicas"

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm actually more relieved to see that you hadn't uncovered some bizarre behavior in ZFS, and that it was a missing disk. A simple problem with a simple solution, and the insistence probably made you go take that second look. No harm done, and no sleep lost (at least on my part; hopefully you'll sleep better now with your kid's Minecraft worlds restored!)

If I may ask another question. I am using ZFS to give me resilience, but this instance has shown that I do not have that on this storage pool. I am assuming that I should be using raidz1 to provide the resilience I want, e.g. to be able to loose a disk. I am still a bit confused as to why a mirror would work like it has here.
As @Samuel Tai mentioned, the best solution is to either configure a 3-way mirror (if you want more redundancy) or the RAIDZ1 (if you want more capacity) - with 2T disks it's not a terrifically perilous setup. although Routine backups of the kid's Minecraft worlds to another dataset if you go with Z1 wouldn't be a bad idea though.