Cannot login to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

RcNorth

Dabbler
I cannot login to my server. going to the local admin webpage just hangs, SSH login won't connect. The console shows the login but won't accept any keyboard entry.

I can ping the server ok, and all the jails are still running, but I have it configured to only allow logins to them from the main server, so I can't access anything.

I did find an email in my spam folder with the following:

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An
attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
scan: scrub repaired 10K in 0h2m with 0 errors on Sat Dec 26 03:47:51 2015
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 1 block size: 512B configured, 8388608B native

At this point I don't want to turn it off as I may not be able to get it running again based on the above pool error.

I am running 9.3

Any suggestions on what I can try.

Thanks

m0nkey_

MVP
Sounds like your boot drive has failed. You might want to hook up a screen and keyboard to find out what's going on.

RcNorth

Dabbler
I do have a keyboard and screen attached, but it isn't responding either.

If I turn off the machine without a proper shutdown is there a way to recreate the boot USB without the freenas system running?

m0nkey_

MVP
If you've got a recent backup of your configuration, you can simply re-install onto a new USB boot drive and restore your config. That way you keep your old one just in case.

RcNorth

Dabbler
I have only been playing with FreeNas for less than I year, so I'm a bit green on all this. I do have a USB that was the previous boot. I had made a copy of the old one with the zpool replace commands a few months ago. Would a copy of the config be on it? If not where is the config stored? If I get this working again I would like to make sure I backup the correct things next time.

Is there an article or post that would give guidance on re-installing to a new USB? Can I use my Mac to copy the necessary files off the old USB boot prior to setting it up as a new boot drive?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Can I use my Mac to copy the necessary files off the old USB boot prior to setting it up as a new boot drive?
No, just buy a new USB stick and use that for the new install. Later, you'll be able to recover the configuration database from the old USB stick.

Regarding shutdown, most likely if your hardware isn't too old, when you hit the power button briefly the machine will do a clean shutdown.

RcNorth

Dabbler
Thanks, the hardware is all new when I started this project about a year ago, so hopefully it will do a clean shutdown.

I was on 9.3, but not sure the build. Once I create the USB boot drive do I just start with it? How does it find the existing pools, jails etc?

Bhoot

Patron
snippy snip
Next time when you setup use this screen for config backups
Refer the pic attached. Red creates a backup. Use Green when you install new OS to carry over all your setting from your previous setup.
There are ways to setup saves in a time bound manner (daily/weekly/hourly). I just have one backup stored in my dropbox/mail so that I have minimal chances of losing the file. I personally have had the usb stick failing on me a couple of times.

Attachments

• saving.png
    saving.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 209

RcNorth

Dabbler
Thanks for all the help. After reviewing everything you guys told me to look into I felt confident enough to try and restart. It did restart and let me get a backup of my config. I was then able to recreate the boot disk and get everything running.

Gotta love this community and all the help you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.